Clinton County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in Clinton County, MO you need an experienced order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Clinton County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a free consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a crucial legal instrument designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be confronting dangers, harassment, or assault from another party. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that compels the accused to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge determines there is compelling rationale, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Clinton County, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and interests protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Clinton County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Clinton County, MO, contact Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Clinton County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to pressure a person to comply
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
In these intricate and intense scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Clinton County, MO can make all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Clinton County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Clinton County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is well-versed in Clinton County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Clinton County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a proven history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Clinton County, MO. Every single one of our clients deserve to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of seasoned legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to formulate robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation free of charge to examine the specifics of your case, address your questions, discuss your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in assembling and preserving essential evidence to fortify your defense, making sure that no detail is missed and the court will receive the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver steadfast representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Clinton County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the support and advocacy you require throughout this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Clinton County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, understanding it and following it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, like criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a comprehensive record of any communication, interactions or incidents related to the other party. This record can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, contact a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is essential to protect your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all applicable information with your attorney, like details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Candidness is key to forming a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift steps will lay the foundation for a strong defense and help protect your rights through the Clinton County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, like that given by Combs Law’s Clinton County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking prompt steps post being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings related to your case. Attend all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Clinton County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can result in a range of notable consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the mandated restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, like restrictions on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be prohibited from having firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you must have seasoned and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Clinton County, MO and is dedicated to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are devoted to safeguarding your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not wade through the challenges of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Clinton County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
If you are dealing with an order of protection or seek legal advice in such matters, we strongly encourage you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. In this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the occasion to discuss the details of your case, convey your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options open to you.
To take the preliminary step towards ensuring your defense in an order of protection case in Clinton County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Clinton County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-obligation consultation.
With Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side throughout the legal journey, giving unwavering support, knowledge, and advocacy. Do not hesitate to reach out to us now to discuss your order of protection case in Clinton County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer