Clark County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in Clark County, MO you need a knowledgeable order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Clark County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a critical legal measure designed to protect individuals who may be confronting threats, harassment, or violence from someone else. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the alleged perpetrator to abstain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is compelling rationale, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Clark County, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Clark County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Clark County, MO, reach out to Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Clark County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to compel a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Amidst these complex and intense scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Clark County, MO can make all the difference in making sure that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Clark County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Clark County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the details involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is proficient in Clark County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Clark County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a strong track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Clark County, MO. Each and every one of our clients are entitled to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises veteran legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to formulate robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation at no cost to examine the specifics of your case, address your questions, go over your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in assembling and preserving crucial evidence to bolster your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is ignored and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, aiming to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Clark County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, receiving the assistance and advocacy you require during this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Clark County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Grasp its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, comprehending it and following it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a comprehensive record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents related to the other party. This record can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, contact a qualified attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is paramount to protect your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Candidness is key to creating a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these prompt steps will lay the foundation for a robust defense and aid defend your rights through the Clark County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, akin to that given by Combs Law’s Clark County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking swift steps following being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your side of the story and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Be present at all scheduled hearings with your attorney to guarantee your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Clark County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can lead to a spectrum of major consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the imposed restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, particularly if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, such as restrictions on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, including arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be banned from owning firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Given the seriousness of the potential consequences, you require knowledgeable and devoted legal representation. Combs Law understands the intricacies of order of protection cases in Clark County, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are focused on defending your rights, investigating legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Do not navigate the complications of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Clark County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are facing an order of protection or seek legal advice in such matters, we highly encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. During this vital initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to go over the details of your case, voice your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the preliminary step towards safeguarding your defense in an order of protection case in Clark County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Clark County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
With Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side throughout the legal journey, providing resolute support, legal skill, and advocacy. Do not hesitate to reach out to us today to go over your order of protection case in Clark County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer