Chariton County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s dedicated Chariton County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Chariton County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-cost consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a crucial legal instrument designed to protect people who may be dealing with dangers, harassment, or violence from another party. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that orders the alleged perpetrator to abstain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is compelling rationale, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Chariton County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Chariton County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Chariton County, MO, contact Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Chariton County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to compel a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Within such complicated and highly emotional scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Chariton County, MO can make all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Chariton County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Chariton County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is well-versed in Chariton County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Chariton County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a proven history of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Chariton County, MO. Every single one of our clients are entitled to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of veteran legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to design robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, answer your questions, go over your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in gathering and preserving essential evidence to fortify your defense, making sure that no detail is ignored and the court will receive the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, aiming to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Chariton County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the assistance and advocacy you deserve during this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Chariton County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to safeguard your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by carefully reading the order of protection document you received. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, comprehending it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Obey the order — Comply closely to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, like criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a thorough record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents related to the person who requested the order of protection. This log can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, get in touch with a qualified attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is vital to protect your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all applicable information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Candidness is key to forming a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will establish the foundation for a robust defense and aid defend your rights throughout the Chariton County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, like that given by Combs Law’s Chariton County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking immediate steps following being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings related to your case. Be present at all scheduled hearings with your attorney to guarantee your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Chariton County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can cause a variety of notable consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the mandated restriction on contacting the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, particularly if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, like restrictions on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, such as arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be forbidden from having firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the severity of the potential consequences, you must have seasoned and devoted legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Chariton County, MO and is focused on minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are committed to safeguarding your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t navigate the complexities of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Chariton County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are facing an order of protection or need legal guidance in such matters, we vigorously recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the occasion to talk about the details of your case, express your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the preliminary step towards ensuring your defense in an order of protection case in Chariton County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Chariton County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.
At Combs Law, we are dedicated to supporting you during the legal journey, giving resolute support, legal skill, and advocacy. Do not wait to get in touch with us today to talk about your order of protection case in Chariton County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer