Carthage, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s dedicated Carthage, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Carthage, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a free consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a crucial legal measure designed to protect people who may be facing threats, harassment, or assault from another party. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that orders the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Carthage, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Carthage, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Carthage, MO, get in touch with Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Carthage, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to compel a person to comply
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means deliberately undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
In these intricate and intense scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Carthage, MO can make all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is followed correctly and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Carthage, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Carthage, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is proficient in Carthage and Missouri order of protection law. As your Carthage, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a proven history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Carthage, MO. Each and every one of our clients deserve to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises seasoned legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to formulate robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation free of charge to assess the specifics of your case, answer your questions, discuss your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in collecting and preserving essential evidence to strengthen your defense, ensuring that no detail goes overlooked and the court will get the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver unwavering representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Carthage, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are getting the best possible defense team, receiving the assistance and advocacy you require amidst this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Carthage, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to defend your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by thoroughly reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Understand its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a thorough record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents involving the person who requested the order of protection. This log can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, get in touch with a qualified attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is vital to defend your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Transparency is key to creating a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on entering your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these immediate actions will set the foundation for a solid defense and assist safeguard your rights throughout the Carthage, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, like that given by Combs Law’s Carthage, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking immediate steps post being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Attend all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Carthage, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can cause a spectrum of notable consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the imposed restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, including constraints on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, including arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be prohibited from possessing firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Considering the seriousness of the potential consequences, you must have knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the nuances of order of protection cases in Carthage, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are committed to defending your rights, looking into legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t navigate the complications of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Carthage, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
In the event that you are facing an order of protection or seek legal guidance in such matters, we vigorously encourage you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. In this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the chance to go over the details of your case, express your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the preliminary step in the direction of safeguarding your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Carthage, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Carthage, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.
With Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side throughout the legal journey, giving unwavering support, knowledge, and advocacy. Do not wait to reach out to us today to discuss your order of protection case in Carthage, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer