Cape Girardeau, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s professional Cape Girardeau, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Cape Girardeau, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a free consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a critical legal tool designed to ensure the safety of people who may be dealing with threats, harassment, or assault from another party. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that compels the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is “good cause”, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Cape Girardeau, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and future protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Cape Girardeau, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Cape Girardeau, MO, get in touch with Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Cape Girardeau, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to pressure a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Amidst these complex and intense scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Cape Girardeau, MO can make all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed correctly and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Cape Girardeau, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Cape Girardeau, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is well-versed in Cape Girardeau and Missouri order of protection law. As your Cape Girardeau, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a proven track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Cape Girardeau, MO. Each and every one of our clients deserve to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of seasoned legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to craft robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, review your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in gathering and preserving crucial evidence to bolster your defense, making sure that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver steadfast representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators work to reach favorable resolutions when possible, striving to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Cape Girardeau, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the support and advocacy you deserve during this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Cape Girardeau, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, understanding it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Obey the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to serious legal consequences, such as arrest.
- Document all communication — Maintain a comprehensive record of any communication, interactions or incidents involving the petitioner. This log can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, contact a qualified attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is vital to protect your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Openness is key to forming a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these prompt actions will lay the foundation for a strong defense and assist protect your rights through the Cape Girardeau, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, like that provided by Combs Law’s Cape Girardeau, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking prompt steps post being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your version of events and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Participate in all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to make sure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Cape Girardeau, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can cause a spectrum of notable consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the imposed restriction on contacting the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, notably if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, like constraints on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be prohibited from possessing firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Considering the seriousness of the potential consequences, you need seasoned and committed legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Cape Girardeau, MO and is dedicated to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are devoted to protecting your rights, investigating legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the complications of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Cape Girardeau, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
In the event that you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we highly urge you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. During this essential initial meeting, you will have the chance to discuss the details of your case, voice your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the preliminary step towards ensuring your defense in an order of protection case in Cape Girardeau, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Cape Girardeau, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.
With Combs Law, we are dedicated to supporting you during the legal journey, providing unwavering support, legal skill, and advocacy. Don’t wait to reach out to us today to go over your order of protection case in Cape Girardeau, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer