Cape Girardeau County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in Cape Girardeau County, MO you need an experienced order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Cape Girardeau County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a complimentary consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a essential legal tool designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be facing dangers, harassment, or assault from someone else. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that orders the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is justifiable reason, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Cape Girardeau County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Cape Girardeau County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Cape Girardeau County, MO, reach out to Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Cape Girardeau County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to force a person to comply
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies intentionally participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Cape Girardeau County, MO can make all the difference in making sure that the legal process is followed appropriately and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Cape Girardeau County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Cape Girardeau County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is proficient in Cape Girardeau County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Cape Girardeau County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a proven track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Cape Girardeau County, MO. All of our clients have a right to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of seasoned legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to craft robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation at no cost to examine the specifics of your case, answer your questions, review your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in gathering and preserving essential evidence to bolster your defense, ensuring that no detail is missed and the court will receive the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We offer steadfast representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Cape Girardeau County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are in capable hands, benefiting from the assistance and advocacy you deserve throughout this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Cape Girardeau County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, comprehending it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a detailed record of any communication, interactions or incidents concerning the petitioner. This record can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, reach out to a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is essential to protect your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all pertinent information with your attorney, including details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Openness is key to building a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will establish the foundation for a solid defense and assist protect your rights throughout the Cape Girardeau County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, such as that offered by Combs Law’s Cape Girardeau County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking prompt steps post being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your version of events and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Participate in all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to guarantee your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Cape Girardeau County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can result in a range of major consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the mandated restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, like limitations on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, such as arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be forbidden from having firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you must have seasoned and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Cape Girardeau County, MO and is committed to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are focused on protecting your rights, exploring legal options, and pursuing the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t navigate the complications of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Cape Girardeau County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are confronted with an order of protection or seek legal advice in such matters, we vigorously urge you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this vital initial meeting, you will have the chance to discuss the details of your case, voice your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To take the first step in the direction of securing your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Cape Girardeau County, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Cape Girardeau County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a free consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are focused on supporting you throughout the legal journey, giving unwavering support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t wait to get in touch with us now to talk about your order of protection case in Cape Girardeau County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer