Camden County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you received a restraining order in Camden County, MO you need an experienced order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Camden County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a crucial legal tool designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be confronting risks, harassment, or violence from someone else. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that compels the accused to abstain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is “good cause”, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Camden County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and interests protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Camden County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Camden County, MO, get in touch with Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Camden County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to force a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means deliberately participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
Within such complicated and intense scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Camden County, MO can make all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Camden County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Camden County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is proficient in Camden County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Camden County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a proven history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Camden County, MO. Each and every one of our clients have a right to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises seasoned legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to craft robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation without any fees to examine the specifics of your case, address your questions, discuss your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in assembling and preserving vital evidence to strengthen your defense, guaranteeing that no detail goes overlooked and the court will receive the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We provide resolute representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and future at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach amicable resolutions when possible, aiming to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Camden County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are in competent hands, getting the help and advocacy you require amidst this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Camden County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to defend your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, knowing it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Obey the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a detailed record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents concerning the other party. This record can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, get in touch with a competent attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is paramount to safeguard your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Candidness is key to forming a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift steps will lay the foundation for a strong defense and help protect your rights through the Camden County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, akin to that given by Combs Law’s Camden County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking prompt steps following being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Be present at all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Camden County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can cause a range of significant consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the imposed restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, like limitations on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be prohibited from owning firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Given the seriousness of the potential consequences, you need knowledgeable and devoted legal representation. Combs Law understands the nuances of order of protection cases in Camden County, MO and is dedicated to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are focused on safeguarding your rights, exploring legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not traverse the challenges of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Camden County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
In the event that you are facing an order of protection or seek legal advice in such matters, we highly encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. In this essential initial meeting, you will have the occasion to go over the details of your case, express your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To take the first step in the direction of ensuring your rights and future in an order of protection case in Camden County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Camden County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
With Combs Law, we are dedicated to standing by your side during the legal journey, offering steadfast support, knowledge, and advocacy. Do not wait to contact us today to discuss your order of protection case in Camden County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer