Buchanan County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in Buchanan County, MO you need a knowledgeable order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Buchanan County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a vital legal instrument designed to safeguard individuals who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or assault from another party. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the alleged perpetrator to refrain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is “good cause”, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Buchanan County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Buchanan County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Buchanan County, MO, contact Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Buchanan County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to pressure a person to comply
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means deliberately undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
Amidst these complex and highly emotional scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Buchanan County, MO can make all the difference in making sure that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Buchanan County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Buchanan County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the details involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is well-versed in Buchanan County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Buchanan County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a consistent history of securing the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Buchanan County, MO. Each and every one of our clients are entitled to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of seasoned legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to craft robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation at no cost to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, discuss your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in collecting and preserving vital evidence to bolster your defense, ensuring that no detail is missed and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and interests at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators work to reach favorable resolutions when possible, striving to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Buchanan County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are in competent hands, benefiting from the help and advocacy you require amidst this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Buchanan County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to defend your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Understand its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, comprehending it and following it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Obey the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to grave legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Keep a comprehensive record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents involving the petitioner. This log can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, get in touch with a qualified attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is essential to protect your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Transparency is key to creating a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on entering your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these prompt steps will establish the foundation for a robust defense and help defend your rights throughout the Buchanan County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, akin to that provided by Combs Law’s Buchanan County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking immediate steps after being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings related to your case. Attend all scheduled hearings with your attorney to guarantee your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Buchanan County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can lead to a variety of notable consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the enforced restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, such as limitations on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, including arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be forbidden from having firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you must have seasoned and devoted legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Buchanan County, MO and is dedicated to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are focused on safeguarding your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the challenges of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Buchanan County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are confronted with an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we strongly urge you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. In this vital initial meeting, you will have the chance to discuss the details of your case, express your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the first step towards securing your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Buchanan County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Buchanan County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-obligation consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side through the legal journey, offering steadfast support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to contact us now to talk about your order of protection case in Buchanan County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer