Boonville, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in Boonville, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Boonville, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a essential legal measure designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be facing risks, harassment, or violence from someone else. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is “good cause”, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Boonville, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Boonville, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Boonville, MO, contact Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Boonville, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to pressure a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
Within such complicated and highly emotional scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Boonville, MO can make all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Boonville, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Boonville, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the details involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is adept in Boonville and Missouri order of protection law. As your Boonville, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a strong history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Boonville, MO. Each and every one of our clients have a right to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of seasoned legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to formulate robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation free of charge to evaluate the specifics of your case, answer your questions, go over your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in gathering and preserving crucial evidence to fortify your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver resolute representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, aiming to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Boonville, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the help and advocacy you deserve amidst this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Boonville, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you received. Grasp its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Obey the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to grave legal consequences, like arrest.
- Document all communication — Maintain a comprehensive record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents involving the other party. This log can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, contact a qualified attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is essential to safeguard your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all relevant information with your attorney, like details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Candidness is key to forming a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these prompt actions will lay the foundation for a robust defense and assist safeguard your rights through the Boonville, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that offered by Combs Law’s Boonville, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking immediate steps after being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Boonville, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can cause a variety of major consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the imposed restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, like restrictions on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be prohibited from owning firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Considering the gravity of the potential consequences, you must have experienced and devoted legal representation. Combs Law knows the intricacies of order of protection cases in Boonville, MO and is committed to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are devoted to safeguarding your rights, investigating legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not navigate the complications of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Boonville, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we strongly encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. In this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the chance to talk about the details of your case, voice your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the preliminary step towards safeguarding your defense in an order of protection case in Boonville, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Boonville, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are dedicated to supporting you through the legal journey, giving resolute support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today to go over your order of protection case in Boonville, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer