Boone County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s expert Boone County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Boone County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a essential legal tool designed to protect people who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or assault from someone else. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the alleged perpetrator to abstain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Boone County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Boone County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Boone County, MO, contact Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Boone County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to pressure a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies deliberately undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Within such complicated and intense scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Boone County, MO can make all the difference in making sure that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Boone County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Boone County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is adept in Boone County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Boone County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a consistent track record of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Boone County, MO. Every single one of our clients have a right to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of seasoned legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to craft robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation without any fees to assess the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, review your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in collecting and preserving essential evidence to fortify your defense, ensuring that no detail goes overlooked and the court will get the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver unwavering representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, aiming to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Boone County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are in capable hands, benefiting from the help and advocacy you need amidst this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Boone County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, comprehending it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Do not violate the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to grave legal consequences, such as arrest.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a comprehensive record of any communication, interactions or incidents concerning the other party. This record can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, contact a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is essential to safeguard your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, including details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Transparency is key to forming a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will lay the foundation for a robust defense and assist protect your rights throughout the Boone County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, like that provided by Combs Law’s Boone County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking swift steps following being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Attend all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to make sure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Boone County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can cause a variety of significant consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the enforced restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, including limitations on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be banned from possessing firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Considering the gravity of the potential consequences, you require knowledgeable and committed legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Boone County, MO and is committed to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are focused on safeguarding your rights, exploring legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t traverse the complications of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Boone County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
If you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we vigorously urge you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this vital initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to discuss the details of your case, express your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options available to you.
To begin the first step in the direction of securing your rights and future in an order of protection case in Boone County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Boone County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.
At Combs Law, we are dedicated to supporting you through the legal journey, providing resolute support, expertise, and advocacy. Do not hesitate to reach out to us today to talk about your order of protection case in Boone County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer