Bates County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s professional Bates County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Bates County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a essential legal measure designed to safeguard individuals who may be facing dangers, harassment, or violence from someone else. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the alleged perpetrator to refrain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge determines there is compelling rationale, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Bates County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Bates County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Bates County, MO, contact Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Bates County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to force a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
Within such complicated and intense scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Bates County, MO can make all the difference in making sure that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Bates County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Bates County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the details involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is proficient in Bates County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Bates County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a consistent history of securing the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Bates County, MO. Every single one of our clients deserve to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of seasoned legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to craft robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation free of charge to assess the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, review your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in collecting and preserving essential evidence to strengthen your defense, making sure that no detail is ignored and the court will get the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We offer steadfast representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Bates County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are in trustworthy hands, getting the support and advocacy you deserve throughout this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Bates County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by carefully reading the order of protection document you received. Grasp its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Obey the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Maintain a comprehensive record of any interactions, interactions or incidents involving the person who requested the order of protection. This documentation can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, get in touch with a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is paramount to defend your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all applicable information with your attorney, like details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Candidness is key to creating a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will lay the foundation for a solid defense and aid defend your rights during the Bates County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, like that given by Combs Law’s Bates County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking immediate steps post being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Be present at all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Bates County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can lead to a spectrum of significant consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the enforced restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, such as constraints on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be banned from possessing firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you must have seasoned and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Bates County, MO and is dedicated to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are focused on defending your rights, investigating legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Do not traverse the complications of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Bates County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
In the event that you are facing an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we strongly urge you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. During this crucial initial meeting, you will have the chance to go over the details of your case, express your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options available to you.
To begin the preliminary step in the direction of securing your rights and future in an order of protection case in Bates County, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Bates County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a free consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are dedicated to standing by your side through the legal journey, offering unwavering support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t delay to reach out to us today to go over your order of protection case in Bates County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer