Audrain County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you received a restraining order in Audrain County, MO you need an experienced order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Audrain County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal tool designed to safeguard people who may be facing dangers, harassment, or violence from another party. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that compels the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is compelling rationale, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Audrain County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Audrain County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Audrain County, MO, get in touch with Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Audrain County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to force a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means deliberately engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Amidst these complex and intense scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Audrain County, MO can be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed correctly and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Audrain County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Audrain County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is well-versed in Audrain County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Audrain County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a strong history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Audrain County, MO. All of our clients deserve to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises seasoned legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to design robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation free of charge to assess the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, go over your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in gathering and preserving vital evidence to bolster your defense, ensuring that no detail is missed and the court will hear the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We offer unwavering representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and interests at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators work to reach amicable resolutions when possible, aiming to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Audrain County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are in trustworthy hands, getting the assistance and advocacy you deserve amidst this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Audrain County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to safeguard your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you received. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, comprehending it and following it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Obey the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to grave legal consequences, like arrest.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a comprehensive record of any interactions, interactions or incidents concerning the person who requested the order of protection. This log can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, reach out to a knowledgeable attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is essential to protect your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Give all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Openness is key to building a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift steps will set the foundation for a solid defense and aid defend your rights during the Audrain County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, like that offered by Combs Law’s Audrain County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking swift steps after being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Audrain County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can result in a range of notable consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the mandated restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, such as restrictions on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, including arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be forbidden from having firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Given the gravity of the potential consequences, you need knowledgeable and devoted legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Audrain County, MO and is focused on lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are devoted to defending your rights, investigating legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t navigate the complications of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Audrain County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are facing an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we highly urge you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. In this essential initial meeting, you will have the occasion to talk about the details of your case, voice your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the first step towards ensuring your rights and future in an order of protection case in Audrain County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Audrain County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side through the legal journey, giving resolute support, expertise, and advocacy. Do not hesitate to contact us today to talk about your order of protection case in Audrain County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer