Atchison County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were served with a restraining order in Atchison County, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Atchison County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a free consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal instrument designed to ensure the safety of individuals who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or assault from someone else. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that compels the accused to avoid any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Atchison County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Atchison County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Atchison County, MO, reach out to Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Atchison County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to force a person to comply
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Atchison County, MO can make all the difference in making sure that the legal process is followed correctly and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Atchison County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Atchison County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is adept in Atchison County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Atchison County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a strong track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Atchison County, MO. Each and every one of our clients deserve to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises experienced legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to craft robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation at no cost to assess the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, go over your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in collecting and preserving essential evidence to bolster your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is missed and the court will hear the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We offer unwavering representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators work to reach amicable resolutions when possible, striving to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Atchison County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the assistance and advocacy you need throughout this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Atchison County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with meticulously reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Understand its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, knowing it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to serious legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a thorough record of any interactions, interactions or incidents concerning the petitioner. This log can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, contact a knowledgeable attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is vital to defend your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all relevant information with your attorney, like details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Openness is key to forming a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on entering your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these immediate actions will establish the foundation for a solid defense and aid defend your rights through the Atchison County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that offered by Combs Law’s Atchison County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking swift steps after being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Attend all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Atchison County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can cause a spectrum of notable consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the imposed restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, including constraints on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be prohibited from owning firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the severity of the potential consequences, you must have knowledgeable and committed legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Atchison County, MO and is committed to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are committed to safeguarding your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not wade through the complications of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Atchison County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
In the event that you are confronted with an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we strongly urge you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. During this crucial initial meeting, you will have the occasion to talk about the details of your case, express your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the preliminary step towards securing your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Atchison County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Atchison County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side through the legal journey, giving unwavering support, legal skill, and advocacy. Do not wait to reach out to us now to discuss your order of protection case in Atchison County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer