Andrew County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were served with a restraining order in Andrew County, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Andrew County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal tool designed to protect people who may be facing threats, harassment, or violence from another party. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the accused to avoid any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is compelling rationale, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Andrew County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and future protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Andrew County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Andrew County, MO, get in touch with Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Andrew County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to force a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies deliberately engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Amidst these complex and highly emotional scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Andrew County, MO can prove to be all the difference in making sure that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that each individual’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Andrew County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Andrew County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is well-versed in Andrew County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Andrew County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a consistent history of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Andrew County, MO. Each and every one of our clients are entitled to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of veteran legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to formulate robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation at no cost to examine the specifics of your case, answer your questions, go over your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in gathering and preserving crucial evidence to strengthen your defense, ensuring that no detail goes overlooked and the court will hear the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators work to reach amicable resolutions when possible, aiming to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Andrew County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are in trustworthy hands, receiving the help and advocacy you deserve amidst this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Andrew County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you received. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can cause serious legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a detailed record of any communication, interactions or incidents involving the petitioner. This documentation can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, reach out to a competent attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is vital to protect your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Share all relevant information with your attorney, like details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Transparency is key to creating a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these immediate actions will lay the foundation for a strong defense and help protect your rights through the Andrew County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, akin to that provided by Combs Law’s Andrew County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking immediate steps post being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Attend all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Andrew County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can cause a variety of notable consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the enforced restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, including limitations on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be prohibited from possessing firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Considering the severity of the potential consequences, you need experienced and committed legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Andrew County, MO and is committed to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are focused on defending your rights, exploring legal options, and pursuing the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t navigate the complications of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Andrew County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are dealing with an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we vigorously recommend you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. In this crucial initial meeting, you will have the chance to discuss the details of your case, voice your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the first step towards securing your defense in an order of protection case in Andrew County, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Andrew County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side during the legal journey, offering resolute support, knowledge, and advocacy. Do not hesitate to get in touch with us today to go over your order of protection case in Andrew County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer