Identity Theft Lawyer St. Louis, MO. Public awareness around identity theft has grown over the past decade in St. Louis. With more and more business transactions occurring online, the decline of cash in favor of online money transfers and universal credit/debit card acceptance, and the increasing amount of personal files being stored in the cloud, people have become increasingly concerned about protecting their identity from those who could steal their personal information. Accordingly, Missouri courts and prosecutors have taken a harder line on those accused of identity theft as they recognize that it is a crime that can happen to any St. Louis resident.
If you, or someone you know, has been accused of the theft of someone’s identity, it is important that you contact an experienced St. Louis criminal defense lawyer. Combs Law Group has a proven track record of achieving the optimal results for all their St. Louis identity theft clients. Their unique approach to cases places the client at the center of everything they do, while always ensuring that a line of communication is open between you and the attorney working on your case. Talk to us today by calling (314) 900-HELP to learn more about Combs Law Group and schedule a free document review.
Missouri Identity Theft Cases
Missouri’s state law regarding identity theft is officially written into the books as Missouri Revised Statute 570.223. It is a fairly comprehensive statute and was most recently amended and updated in 2017.
An important thing to note about Missouri’s identity theft law is that it includes both criminal and civil penalties. The criminal penalties for identity theft in Missouri vary depending on if items were stolen or fraudulently obtained as a result of said theft, as well as the value of those items.
- The simple act of identity theft is a class B misdemeanor (punishable by up to 6 months in jail and a $1,000 fine)
- Identity theft that results in the fraudulent acquisition of money, goods, or services of a total value of $750 or less is a class A misdemeanor (punishable by up to a year in jail and a $2,000 fine)
- Identity theft resulting in the fradulent acquisition of cash/goods/services whose total value is between $751 and $25,000 is a class D felony (punishable by up to 7 years in state prison and a $10,000 fine)
- Identity theft where goods/services/cash valued between $25,001-$75,000 was acquired as a result is a class C felony (3-10 years in prison and a maximum $10,000 fine)
- Identity theft that resulted in $75,001 or more in goods/services/money being obtained is a class B felony (5-15 years in prison)
- Anyone who has previously been convicted of identity theft and is being charged with identity theft of $750 or less shall be charged with a class E felony (1-4 years in prison and a $10,000 fine)
In addition to any criminal charges, those found guilty of identity theft in Missouri may be required to make restitution to their victim. This includes all court costs, clearing the victim’s credit record, and satisfying any debts, liens, or other obligations victims were forced to take as a result of the actions of the accused.
Identity theft charges in Missouri also have a civil component as well. Civil actions can be brought for damages of up to $5,000 for each incident where the victim’s identity was fraudulently used, or treble the amount of total actual damages. The law authorizes identity theft victims to go after the greater of these two damages, so if, for instance, the accused had used that person’s identity multiple times to make small purchases that added up to less than $750 in value, they could still be facing a large judgment against them. The estate of a deceased person can also sue for damages if the deceased’s identity was fraudulently used, as well.
Contact An Experienced St. Louis Identity Theft Lawyer
Combs Law Group is a top-rated St. Louis criminal defense law firm with a proven track record of getting the best possible results for their clients. Our firm takes a holistic approach to our criminal defense cases. We communicate regularly with our clients, get to know their personal circumstances as well as all the details of their case, and built a unique defense strategy tailor-made for their St. Louis identity theft case. We invite you to take a look at some of our recent case results–you’ll find that they stack up with any criminal defense firm in St. Louis. And unlike those firms, Combs Law Group guarantees that you will always have access to the attorney working on your case, no matter when you wish to talk to them day or night. Contact us today to schedule a free, no-obligation, confidential conversation about your St. Louis identity theft case.