Do You Need A Federal Drug Conspiracy Lawyer?
If you’ve been charged with federal drug conspiracy you will likely need a criminal defense lawyer who knows federal drug laws. The federal laws around conspiracy are very complicated and the best thing you can do is hire a lawyer who knows the federal statutes inside and out. Drug conspiracy is defined under the federal statutes as two or more people agreeing to commit a drug crime. The federal government has to prove that you and another person were in agreement to violate federal drug laws, and both you and the other people were fully aware that your actions were illegal. Federal prosecutors use conspiracy laws to their advantage because it’s easier to prove someone conspired to perform an illegal act rather than proving they actually went through with the illegal act. If you have a good federal criminal defense lawyer in your corner, you give yourself a fighting chance to beat your charges. At Combs Law Group, we have the knowledge and skills required to mount a successful legal defense for your drug conspiracy charges. Call us today for a free consultation or fill out a contact form and we will call you back.
Types of Drug Conspiracy Charges
Federal prosecution of drug conspiracy can fall into any one of the main federal drug crimes:
- Drug Possession with intent to distribute
- Drug Distribution
- Drug Manufacturing
- Drug Importation
Penalties For Drug Conspiracy
If you’re convicted of drug conspiracy, the penalties are the same as if you were convicted of actually committing the crime itself. For drug offenses, the laws specify different guidelines based on the types of drugs and the quantity involved in the crime. Here are some of the penalty guidelines specified within federal statutes:
- Marijuana – For most cases where there are more than 100 kilograms the is a mandatory minimum of 5 years and a maximum of 40 years. For cases where there is 1000 kilograms there is a minimum of 10 years and maximum of life in prison.
- Crack Cocaine – For cases where there are more than 28 grams the minimum is 5 years and the maximum is 40 years. For cases where there are 280 grams the maximum is life in prison, while the minimum is 10 years.
- Heroin – For cases where there are 100 grams the minimum is 5 years and the maximum is 40 years. For cases where there is 1 kilogram of heroin the minimum is 10 years and the maximum is life in prison.
- Methamphetamines – For cases where there is 5 grams the minimum is 5 years and the maximum is 40 years. For cases where there is 50 grams of methamphetamines the minimum is 10 years and the maximum is life in prison.
So as you can see the federal penalties for drug conspiracy are very severe if you’re convicted. That’s why it’s crucial you hire a skilled criminal defense lawyer to mount a solid defense for your case. Call Combs Law Group today to get a free evaluation of your case. We have the knowledge and experience you need to fight your charges. Call 314-578-1465 or fill out a contact form and we will call you back.