DWI Lawyer in Wildwood, MO
DWI Lawyer in Wildwood, MO. Getting pulled over and accused of driving while intoxicated is almost certainly one of the worst worries a Wildwood-area motorist can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for a minimum of sixty days, you will have to pay a significant fine, your insurance premiums will drastically increase, and have points on your license for years to come. Even worse, your image in the community will take a sizable blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be limited, as countries including Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Wildwood?
Having an effective and aggressive Wildwood, MO DWI lawyer on your case can be — and often is — the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight tirelessly for all our Wildwood, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been pulled over for anything or if you have previous DWIs on your record, our firm will give your Wildwood DWI case the personal attention you deserve and create a legal strategy that is designed to get you the optimal results.
Our record of success for those facing DWI charges is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s understandable to be nervous. Being pulled over by law enforcement for any traffic infraction is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is only increased when you are accused of impaired driving. Having taken hundreds of Wildwood-area DWI cases, our firm suggests that you do the following if you are ever stopped for DUI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try not to park on grass.
- Record the entire encounter with your phone. Having your own record of your Wildwood DWI stop can greatly benefit your case and identify potential differences between the police account and what really occured. Police officers are required to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any missed or incorrect step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, too: courts have ruled that police can seize and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a police officer will increase the likelihood that they will search your car or subject you to heightened scrutiny. Kindness is the best thing to do when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but don’t give them any other information. Cops are looking for any excuse to find probable cause and take you into custody, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for 12 months if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only comes into effect after you have been placed under arrest for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are not consistent and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to take you into custody.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as possible. Your discussion with an attorney is completely privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breathalyzer test at the precinct, any issues that came up during your stop, or further questions you might have can make the difference between losing the ability to drive for months and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Wildwood, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you likely know, are stiff. Even a first Wildwood DWI offense could lead to the following punishments under Missouri law, as it is defined as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be converted to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Wildwood, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include no less than 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, verifiable alcohol monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative component in a Wildwood, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Wildwood-area drivers are not aware that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you hire the Wildwood, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be confident that our firm will take on both sides of your DWI case urgently and fight relentlessly to minimize the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, go over the details of your case, identify potential problems in the police report or arrest, and draw up a strategy that is designed to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting the best results for our Wildwood, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as seen by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Wildwood DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Wildwood, MO, you are certainly cognizant that timing is critical when dealing with your case. The sooner you can get an experienced Wildwood DWI lawyer to review documents, obtain evidence, and establish your case, the higher the chances are that the effects resulting from your Wildwood DWI arrest will be greatly lowered, if not erased.
Combs Law Group has helped a large number of Wildwood-area residents of all kinds take on DWI accusations. Our firm merges best-in-class legal acumen and hard-nosed litigation with a promise to provide personal attention and communication that is unmatched among Wildwood DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that no matter the time, no matter the situation, and no matter the circumstances, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal matter. This is part of our commitment to total client satisfaction, which our previous clients can attest to as well.
After you have been pulled over and charged with DWI in the Wildwood, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial consultation and put the experienced Wildwood DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.