DWI Lawyer in Wellston, MO
DWI Lawyer in Wellston, MO. Being pulled over and suspected of driving while intoxicated is definitely one of the worst worries a Wellston-area driver can have. Not only will you be prohibited from driving for a minimum of sixty days, you will have to pay a hefty fine, your insurance premiums will drastically increase, and have points on your license for years to come. Even worse, your reputation in the community will take a significant impact, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be curtailed, as countries including Canada bar travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Wellston?
Having an effective and aggressive Wellston, MO DWI lawyer on your case can —and often does — make the difference between being found guilty to DWI and suffering all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight fiercely on behalf of all our Wellston, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been pulled over for any moving violation or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your Wellston DWI case the personal attention you deserve and craft a legal strategy that is designed to get you the best outcome.
Our track record of success for those facing DWI charges is unmatched, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s logical to be nervous. Being pulled over by police for any traffic infraction is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is only increased when you are accused of impaired driving. Having tried many Wellston-area DWI cases, our firm recommends that you do the following if you are ever stopped for DWI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try not to park on grass.
- Record the entire interaction with your phone. Having your own record of your Wellston DWI stop can greatly benefit your case and find potential differences between the police report and what actually happened. Police officers are mandated to follow a set protocol in every DWI stop, and any wrong or skipped step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, too: courts have ruled that police can search and detain unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a police officer will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. Being polite goes a long way when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but do not give them anything else. Officers are on the lookout for for any excuse to continue an investigation and take you into custody, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driver’s license for one year if you do not take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only applies after you have been taken into custody for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are not consistent and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer immediately. Your conversation with an attorney is entirely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breathalyzer test at the precinct, any issues that arose during your stop, or additional questions you might have can make the difference between paying substantial fines and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Wellston, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are serious. Even a first Wellston DWI offense could lead to these punishments under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Wellston, MO, you will likely be looking at class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which ranges from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, verifiable BAC monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative component in a Wellston, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Wellston-area drivers are not aware that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you work with the Wellston, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can rest assured that our firm will take on both halves of your DWI case urgently and fight fiercely to minimize the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will gather evidence, go over the facts of your case, identify potential holes in the police report or arrest, and craft a strategy that is built to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting the best outcomes for our Wellston, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as shown by these results:
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Serious felony DUI charges reduced to a lower level.
Contact A Wellston DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Wellston, MO, you are certainly well aware that timing is critical when dealing with your case. The sooner you can get an experienced Wellston DWI lawyer to read documents, gather evidence, and build your defense, the higher the chances are that the consequences resulting from your Wellston DWI arrest will be greatly lowered, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped many Wellston-area residents from all backgrounds fight DWI accusations. Our firm combines top-notch legal acumen and aggressive litigation with a promise to provide personal service and communication that is unequaled among Wellston DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers vow that regardless of what time it is, regardless of the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal concern. This is part of our promise of 100% client satisfaction, which our former clients can speak to as well.
After you have been pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Wellston, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial case review and get the skilled Wellston DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group to work for you.