DWI Lawyer in Valley Park, MO
DWI Lawyer in Valley Park, MO. Getting pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is definitely one of the biggest fears a Valley Park-area motorist can have. Not only will you be prohibited from driving for a minimum of sixty days, you will have to pay a hefty fine, your insurance premiums will drastically increase, and have points on your license for years to come. To make matters worse, your status among friends and neighbors will take a sizable blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be curtailed, as countries such as Canada bar travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Valley Park?
Having an aggressive and effective Valley Park, MO DWI lawyer on your case can be — and often is — the difference between being found guilty to DWI and suffering all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our veteran St. Louis DWI lawyers fight relentlessly for all our Valley Park, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been pulled over for anything or if this is not the first time you are facing DWI charges, our firm will give your Valley Park DWI case the personal attention you expect and create a legal strategy that is designed to get you the best results.
Our record of success for those facing DWI charges is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you regardless of any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s understandable to be nervous. Being stopped by the cops for any traffic infraction is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” reaction, and this is only increased when you are accused of impaired driving. Having tried many Valley Park-area DWI cases, our firm suggests that you take the following course of action if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a safe place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire stop with your phone. Having your own account of your Valley Park DWI stop can greatly improve your case and highlight potential inconsistencies between the police account and what actually occured. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, as well: courts have ruled that police can search and detain unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a law enforcement officer will lower the odds that they will search your car or subject you to a higher level of scrutiny. Being polite goes a long way when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but don’t give them any other information. Cops are looking for any reason to find probable cause and arrest you, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for 12 months if you do not take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only is in effect after you have been placed under arrest for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as you can. Your chat with an attorney is completely privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breathalyzer test at the precinct, any complications that came up during your stop, or additional questions you might have can make the difference between paying substantial fines and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Valley Park, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are stiff. Even a first Valley Park DWI offense could lead to the following punishments under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be converted to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Valley Park, MO, you will likely be looking at class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include at least 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, verifiable alcohol monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative half of a Valley Park, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue handles your license revocation or suspension. Most Valley Park-area drivers are unaware that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, as long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you work with the Valley Park, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be sure that our firm will take on both parts of your DWI case urgently and fight tirelessly to limit the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will gather evidence, go over the details of your case, identify potential holes in the police report or arrest, and craft a strategy that is designed to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal results for our Valley Park, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as evidenced by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Valley Park DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Valley Park, MO, you are probably cognizant that timing is critical when it comes to your case. The quicker you can get a trusted Valley Park DWI lawyer to review documents, collect evidence, and craft your defense, the better the odds are that the consequences resulting from your Valley Park DWI arrest will be greatly limited, if not erased.
Combs Law Group has helped a large number of Valley Park-area residents from all walks of life battle DWI charges. Our firm combines top-notch legal acumen and hard-nosed litigation with a commitment to personal attention and communication that is unequaled among Valley Park DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that regardless of what time it is, regardless of the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and discuss your case or any other legal concern. This is part of our commitment to complete client satisfaction, which our previous clients can attest to as well.
After you have been pulled over and charged with DWI in the Valley Park, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial consultation and put the skilled Valley Park DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group in your corner.