DWI Lawyer in University City, MO
DWI Lawyer in University City, MO. Getting pulled over and suspected of driving while intoxicated is arguably one of the biggest fears a University City-area driver can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, your insurance premiums will drastically increase, and have points on your license for the near future. Even worse, your image in the community will take a massive impact, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be curtailed, as countries such as Canada bar travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in University City?
Having an aggressive and effective University City, MO DWI lawyer on your case can be — and often is — the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our veteran St. Louis DWI lawyers fight tirelessly on behalf of all our University City, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for anything or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your University City DWI case the personal attention you expect and create a legal strategy that is made to get you the best outcome.
Our track record of success for those accused of DWI is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you regardless of any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s natural to be nervous. Being stopped by law enforcement for any moving violation is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is only heightened when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having tried a substantial number of University City-area DWI cases, our firm recommends that you take the following course of action if you are ever pulled over for DWI:
- Find a safe place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire stop with your phone. Having your own record of your University City DWI stop can greatly benefit your case and find potential discrepancies between the police account and what actually occured. Police officers are required to follow a set protocol in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, too: courts have ruled that police can detain and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being aggressive with a police officer will increase the likelihood that they will search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. A little politeness is the best thing to do when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but don’t give them any other information. Cops are on the lookout for for any reason to continue an investigation and arrest you, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driver’s license for 12 months if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only is in effect after you have been taken into custody for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to take you into custody.
- If you are arrested, talk to a lawyer immediately. Your discussion with an attorney is 100% privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breath test at the station, any complications that came up in your stop, or further questions you might have can be the difference between paying substantial fines and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your University City, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you likely know, are stiff. Even a first University City DWI offense could lead to the following punishments under Missouri law, as it is defined as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be converted to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in University City, MO, you will likely be looking at class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, trackable BAC monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative portion of a University City, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue handles your license revocation or suspension. Most University City-area drivers do not know that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, so long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you hire the University City, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can rest assured that our firm will take on both sides of your DWI case as soon as possible and fight hard to reduce the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will gather evidence, look at the facts of your case, identify potential holes in the police report or arrest, and draw up a strategy that is made to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal outcomes for our University City, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as seen by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A University City DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in University City, MO, you are certainly cognizant that time is of the essence when it comes to your case. The quicker you can get a skilled University City DWI lawyer to look over documents, gather evidence, and build your defense, the better the odds are that the punishments resulting from your University City DWI arrest will be greatly limited, if not erased.
Combs Law Group has helped many University City-area residents from all backgrounds battle DWI accusations. Our firm merges top-notch legal expertise and combative litigation with a pledge to provide personal service and communication that is unequaled among University City DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that no matter the time, no matter the situation, and no matter where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal concern. This is part of our promise of 100% client satisfaction, which our previous clients can attest to as well.
If you get pulled over and arrested for DWI in the University City, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial document review and put the experienced University City DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group in your corner.