DWI Lawyer in Sullivan, MO
DWI Lawyer in Sullivan, MO. Being pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is almost certainly one of the worst fears a Sullivan-area driver can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, face increased insurance costs, and have points on your license for years to come. To make matters worse, your status among friends and neighbors will take a sizable impact, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be limited, as countries such as Canada bar travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Sullivan?
Having an effective and aggressive Sullivan, MO DWI lawyer on your team can be — and often is — the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and suffering all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our experienced St. Louis DWI lawyers fight fiercely for all our Sullivan, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any violation or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your Sullivan DWI case the personal attention you expect and craft a legal strategy that is built to get you the best possible results.
Our record of success for those facing DWI charges is unmatched, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s understandable to be nervous. Being pulled over by the cops for any moving violation is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” reaction, and this is only increased when you are accused of impaired driving. Having tried a substantial number of Sullivan-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you do the following if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a safe place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try not to park on grass.
- Record the entire stop with your phone. Having your own account of your Sullivan DWI stop can greatly benefit your case and identify potential differences between the police account and what actually occured. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific protocol in every DWI stop, and any missed or incorrect action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, too: courts have ruled that police can detain and search unlocked cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a police officer will increase the likelihood that they will search your car or subject you to a higher level of scrutiny. Being polite is the best thing to do when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but don’t give them any other information. Cops are on the lookout for for any reason to continue an investigation and take you into custody, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driving privileges for one year if you elect not to take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only applies after you have been arrested for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to take you into custody.
- If you are arrested, talk to a lawyer immediately. Your conversation with an attorney is completely privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a BAC test at the station, any complications that came up during your stop, or further questions you might have can make the difference between losing the ability to drive for months and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Sullivan, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are serious. Even a first Sullivan DWI offense could lead to the following consequences under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Sullivan, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be anywhere from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, trackable alcohol monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative half of a Sullivan, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Sullivan-area drivers are unaware that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you hire the Sullivan, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be confident that our firm will take on both sides of your DWI case urgently and fight fiercely to reduce the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will collect evidence, look at the facts of your case, identify potential problems in the police report or arrest, and create a strategy that is built to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal outcomes for our Sullivan, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as shown by these results:
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Serious felony DUI charges reduced to a lower level.
Contact A Sullivan DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Sullivan, MO, you are certainly cognizant that time is of the essence when it comes to your case. The quicker you can get a trusted Sullivan DWI lawyer to review documents, obtain evidence, and establish your defense, the better the odds are that the punishments resulting from your Sullivan DWI arrest will be greatly reduced, if not erased.
Combs Law Group has helped a large number of Sullivan-area residents from all backgrounds battle DWI charges. Our firm combines best-in-class legal acumen and hard-nosed litigation with a pledge to provide personal attention and communication that is unmatched among Sullivan DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers guarantee that regardless of what time it is, no matter the situation, and no matter where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk with you about your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our promise of total client satisfaction, which our former clients can attest to as well.
After you have been pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Sullivan, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial consultation and put the skilled Sullivan DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.