Ask us about our affordable payment options.
DWI Lawyer in Steelville, MO
DWI Lawyer in Steelville, MO. Being pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is arguably one of the worst fears a Steelville-area motorist can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, your insurance premiums will drastically increase, and have points on your license for the near future. Even worse, your image in the community will take a sizable hit, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as nations including Canada bar travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Steelville?
Having an aggressive and effective Steelville, MO DWI lawyer on your case can be — and often is — the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and suffering all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our veteran St. Louis DWI lawyers fight tirelessly on behalf of all our Steelville, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for anything or if you have previous DWIs on your record, our firm will give your Steelville DWI case the personal attention you expect and craft a legal strategy that is built to get you the best possible results.
Our track record of success for those accused of DWI is unmatched, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s natural to be nervous. Being pulled over by the cops for any moving violation is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” reaction, and this is only heightened when you are accused of impaired driving. Having taken many Steelville-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you take the following course of action if you are ever pulled over for DWI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try not to park on grass.
- Record the entire encounter with your phone. Having your own record of your Steelville DWI stop can greatly improve your case and identify potential discrepancies between the police account and what actually occured. Police officers are mandated to follow a set protocol in every DWI stop, and any missed or incorrect action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, as well: courts have ruled that police can seize and search unlocked cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a law enforcement officer will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to heightened scrutiny. Being polite is the best thing to do when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but do not give them anything else. Officers are looking for any reason to find probable cause and take you into custody, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for 12 months if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only is in effect after you have been placed under arrest for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are often unreliable and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to place you under arrest.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as possible. Your chat with an attorney is completely privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breath test at the precinct, any complications that came up during your stop, or additional questions you might have can be the difference between paying substantial fines and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Steelville, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are stiff. Even a first Steelville DWI offense could lead to these punishments under Missouri law, as it is defined as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be reduced to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Steelville, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include no less than 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, verifiable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative component in a Steelville, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Steelville-area drivers are not aware that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you work with the Steelville, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can rest assured that our firm will handle both components of your DWI case without delay and work fiercely to minimize the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, look at the details of your case, identify potential problems in the police report or arrest, and draw up a strategy that is designed to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI VictoriesOur track record for getting the best outcomes for our Steelville, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as evidenced by these results:
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Serious felony DUI charges reduced to a lower level.
Contact A Steelville DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Steelville, MO, you are definitely well aware that timing is critical when it comes to your case. The quicker you can get an experienced Steelville DWI lawyer to look over documents, collect evidence, and build your case, the better the odds are that the consequences resulting from your Steelville DWI arrest will be greatly lowered, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped many Steelville-area residents from all walks of life fight DWI charges. Our firm combines top-notch legal knowledge and aggressive litigation with a promise to provide personal attention and communication that is unmatched among Steelville DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that regardless of what time it is, no matter the situation, and no matter where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our promise of 100% client satisfaction, which our former clients can attest to as well.
If you get pulled over and charged with DWI in the Steelville, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial case review and get the experienced Steelville DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group to work for you.