DWI Lawyer in Spanish Lake, MO
DWI Lawyer in Spanish Lake, MO. Getting pulled over and suspected of driving while intoxicated is almost certainly one of the biggest worries a Spanish Lake-area motorist can have. Not only will you be prohibited from driving for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, your insurance rates will go up, and have points on your license for years to come. Even worse, your status in the community will take a massive blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as nations such as Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Spanish Lake?
Having an effective and aggressive Spanish Lake, MO DWI lawyer in your corner can —and often does — make the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and suffering all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our veteran St. Louis DWI lawyers fight relentlessly on behalf of all our Spanish Lake, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any moving violation or if this is not the first time you are facing DWI charges, our firm will give your Spanish Lake DWI case the personal attention you expect and craft a legal strategy that is designed to get you the optimal outcome.
Our record of success for those accused of DWI is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you with no regard to any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s understandable to be nervous. Being pulled over by police for any moving violation is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” response, and this is only heightened when you are accused of impaired driving. Having tried hundreds of Spanish Lake-area DWI cases, our firm recommends that you follow these steps if you are ever pulled over for DWI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire encounter with your phone. Having your own account of your Spanish Lake DWI stop can greatly improve your case and highlight potential inconsistencies between the police record and what actually happened. Police officers are mandated to follow a set procedure in every DWI stop, and any missed or incorrect action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, as well: judges have ruled that police can seize and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a law enforcement officer will increase the likelihood that they will search your car or subject you to heightened scrutiny. Kindness does you a lot of good when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but don’t give them any other information. Cops are looking for any excuse to continue an investigation and take you into custody, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for one year if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only is in effect after you have been placed under arrest for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to place you under arrest.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as possible. Your chat with an attorney is entirely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breath test at the precinct, any complications that arose during your stop, or other questions you might have can be the difference between losing the ability to drive for months and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Spanish Lake, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are stiff. Even a first Spanish Lake DWI offense could lead to the following consequences under Missouri law, as it is defined as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be reduced to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Spanish Lake, MO, you will likely be looking at class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include no less than 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be anywhere from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, trackable alcohol monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative portion of a Spanish Lake, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Spanish Lake-area drivers are not aware that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, so long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you work with the Spanish Lake, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can rest assured that our firm will handle both components of your DWI case urgently and work tirelessly to reduce the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, look at the facts of your case, identify potential problems in the police report or arrest, and create a strategy that is designed to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting the best outcomes for our Spanish Lake, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as shown by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Spanish Lake DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Spanish Lake, MO, you are definitely well aware that timing is critical when dealing with your case. The sooner you can get an experienced Spanish Lake DWI lawyer to review documents, collect evidence, and craft your defense, the higher the chances are that the consequences resulting from your Spanish Lake DWI arrest will be greatly limited, if not erased.
Combs Law Group has helped many Spanish Lake-area residents from all walks of life battle DWI charges. Our firm melds top-notch legal acumen and hard-nosed litigation with a promise to provide personal attention and communication that is unmatched among Spanish Lake DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers guarantee that regardless of what time it is, no matter the situation, and no matter the circumstances, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal concern. This is part of our promise of 100% client satisfaction, which our former clients can speak to as well.
After you have been pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Spanish Lake, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial case review and put the veteran Spanish Lake DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.