DWI Lawyer in Rock Hill, MO
DWI Lawyer in Rock Hill, MO. Being pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is definitely one of the worst fears a Rock Hill-area motorist can have. Not only will you be prohibited from driving for a minimum of sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, face increased insurance costs, and have points on your license for the near future. To make matters worse, your reputation among friends and neighbors will take a sizable blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be limited, as countries such as Canada prevent travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Rock Hill?
Having an effective and aggressive Rock Hill, MO DWI lawyer in your corner can be — and often is — the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our veteran St. Louis DWI lawyers fight relentlessly on behalf of all our Rock Hill, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any violation or if this is not the first time you are facing DWI charges, our firm will give your Rock Hill DWI case the personal attention you expect and plan a legal strategy that is designed to get you the optimal results.
Our track record of success for those facing DWI charges is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you with no regard to any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s natural to be nervous. Being stopped by police for any moving violation is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” response, and this is only increased when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having taken a substantial number of Rock Hill-area DWI cases, our firm suggests that you follow these steps if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try not to park on grass.
- Record the entire stop with your phone. Having your own record of your Rock Hill DWI stop can greatly benefit your case and highlight potential inconsistencies between the police account and what actually occured. Police officers are required to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, as well: judges have ruled that police can seize and search unlocked cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being aggressive with a police officer will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to a higher level of scrutiny. A little politeness is the best thing to do when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but do not give them anything else. Officers are on the lookout for for any excuse to find probable cause and arrest you, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for 12 months if you do not take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only comes into effect after you have been taken into custody for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are often unreliable and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to take you into custody.
- If you are arrested, talk to a lawyer immediately. Your chat with an attorney is entirely privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breath test at the precinct, any complications that came up in your stop, or other questions you might have can be the difference between paying substantial fines and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Rock Hill, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are serious. Even a first Rock Hill DWI offense could lead to the following punishments under Missouri law, as it is defined as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Rock Hill, MO, you will likely be looking at class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, verifiable alcohol monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative portion of a Rock Hill, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Rock Hill-area drivers do not know that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you hire the Rock Hill, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can rest assured that our firm will take on both parts of your DWI case as soon as possible and work hard to minimize the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, go over the facts of your case, identify potential holes in the police report or arrest, and draw up a strategy that is built to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting the best results for our Rock Hill, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as shown by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Rock Hill DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Rock Hill, MO, you are definitely cognizant that time is money when it comes to your case. The quicker you can get a skilled Rock Hill DWI lawyer to read documents, gather evidence, and craft your case, the better the odds are that the consequences resulting from your Rock Hill DWI arrest will be greatly reduced, if not erased.
Combs Law Group has helped hundreds of Rock Hill-area residents from all backgrounds battle DWI charges. Our firm combines first-rate legal knowledge and combative litigation with a promise to provide personal service and communication that is unequaled among Rock Hill DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers guarantee that no matter the time, regardless of the situation, and no matter the circumstances, they will be able to answer your call and discuss your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our commitment to total client satisfaction, which our former clients can attest to as well.
After you have been pulled over and charged with DWI in the Rock Hill, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial document review and put the experienced Rock Hill DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.