DWI Lawyer in Richmond Heights, MO
DWI Lawyer in Richmond Heights, MO. Being pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is arguably one of the worst worries a Richmond Heights-area motorist can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, your insurance premiums will drastically increase, and have points on your license for years to come. To make matters worse, your reputation among friends and neighbors will take a significant blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be curtailed, as nations including Canada bar travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Richmond Heights?
Having an effective and aggressive Richmond Heights, MO DWI lawyer in your corner can be — and often is — the difference between being found guilty to DWI and suffering all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight relentlessly on behalf of all our Richmond Heights, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any violation or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your Richmond Heights DWI case the personal attention you expect and create a legal strategy that is made to get you the best possible outcome.
Our record of success for those facing DWI charges is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s understandable to be nervous. Being stopped by police for any traffic infraction is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” reaction, and this is only increased when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having taken hundreds of Richmond Heights-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you do the following if you are ever pulled over for DWI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire interaction with your phone. Having your own account of your Richmond Heights DWI stop can greatly help your case and find potential discrepancies between the police record and what really happened. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific protocol in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, too: judges have ruled that police can seize and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a cop will increase the likelihood that they will search your car or subject you to a higher level of scrutiny. A little politeness does you a lot of good when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but don’t give them any other information. Cops are on the lookout for for any reason to find probable cause and arrest you, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driving privileges for 12 months if you do not take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only applies after you have been taken into custody for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as you can. Your conversation with an attorney is entirely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breathalyzer test at the precinct, any issues that came up in your stop, or additional questions you might have can make the difference between losing the ability to drive for months and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Richmond Heights, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are serious. Even a first Richmond Heights DWI offense could lead to the following punishments under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Richmond Heights, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include at least 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, trackable alcohol monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative component in a Richmond Heights, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Richmond Heights-area drivers are unaware that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, so long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you work with the Richmond Heights, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be confident that our firm will tackle both components of your DWI case as soon as possible and work tirelessly to limit the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will gather evidence, look at the facts of your case, identify potential holes in the police report or arrest, and draw up a strategy that is made to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal results for our Richmond Heights, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as shown by these results:
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Serious felony DUI charges reduced to a lower level.
Contact A Richmond Heights DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Richmond Heights, MO, you are certainly cognizant that time is money when it comes to your case. The quicker you can get a trusted Richmond Heights DWI lawyer to look over documents, collect evidence, and establish your case, the better the odds are that the punishments resulting from your Richmond Heights DWI arrest will be greatly reduced, if not erased.
Combs Law Group has helped hundreds of Richmond Heights-area residents from all backgrounds take on DWI charges. Our firm merges top-notch legal knowledge and aggressive litigation with a pledge to provide personal service and communication that is unequaled among Richmond Heights DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers guarantee that regardless of what time it is, no matter the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk with you about your case or any other legal concern. This is part of our promise of total client satisfaction, which our former clients can speak to as well.
After you have been pulled over and charged with DWI in the Richmond Heights, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial document review and put the skilled Richmond Heights DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group in your corner.