DWI Lawyer in Pevely, MO
DWI Lawyer in Pevely, MO. Being pulled over and suspected of driving while intoxicated is arguably one of the biggest worries a Pevely-area driver can have. Not only will you be suspended of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a hefty fine, your insurance rates will go up, and have points on your license for years to come. To make matters worse, your image in the community will take a significant blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as nations such as Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Pevely?
Having an effective and aggressive Pevely, MO DWI lawyer in your corner can —and often does — make the difference between being found guilty to DWI and suffering all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight fiercely for all our Pevely, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for anything or if you have previous DWIs on your record, our firm will give your Pevely DWI case the personal attention you expect and create a legal strategy that is designed to get you the best results.
Our record of success for those accused of DWI is unmatched, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you regardless of any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s logical to be nervous. Being pulled over by police for any traffic infraction is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is only heightened when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having tried hundreds of Pevely-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you take the following course of action if you are ever stopped for DUI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire encounter with your phone. Having your own record of your Pevely DWI stop can greatly help your case and highlight potential differences between the police account and what actually occured. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, too: judges have ruled that police can seize and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being aggressive with a police officer will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. Being polite is the best thing to do when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but don’t give them any other information. Cops are on the lookout for for any reason to continue an investigation and take you into custody, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driver’s license for 12 months if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only comes into effect after you have been arrested for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as possible. Your discussion with an attorney is completely privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breathalyzer test at the precinct, any complications that came up during your stop, or other questions you might have can be the difference between paying substantial fines and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Pevely, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are stiff. Even a first Pevely DWI offense could lead to the following consequences under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be converted to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Pevely, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include no less than 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which ranges from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, trackable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative half of a Pevely, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Pevely-area drivers are not aware that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you hire the Pevely, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can rest assured that our firm will take on both parts of your DWI case without delay and fight hard to limit the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, go over the details of your case, identify potential holes in the police report or arrest, and craft a strategy that is made to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal outcomes for our Pevely, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as evidenced by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Pevely DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Pevely, MO, you are probably cognizant that time is money when it comes to your case. The sooner you can get a trusted Pevely DWI lawyer to read documents, obtain evidence, and craft your defense, the better the odds are that the effects resulting from your Pevely DWI arrest will be greatly reduced, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped a large number of Pevely-area residents of all kinds take on DWI accusations. Our firm merges top-notch legal knowledge and combative litigation with a commitment to personal service and communication that is unmatched among Pevely DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers vow that no matter the time, regardless of the situation, and no matter where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk with you about your case or any other legal concern. This is part of our promise of complete client satisfaction, which our former clients can speak to as well.
If you get pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Pevely, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial case review and get the skilled Pevely DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.