DWI Lawyer in Montgomery City, MO
DWI Lawyer in Montgomery City, MO. Being pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is definitely one of the biggest worries a Montgomery City-area driver can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a hefty fine, face increased insurance costs, and have points on your license for the near future. Even worse, your status among friends and neighbors will take a sizable hit, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as countries such as Canada bar travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Montgomery City?
Having an aggressive and effective Montgomery City, MO DWI lawyer on your team can —and often does — make the difference between being found guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight fiercely on behalf of all our Montgomery City, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any violation or if this is not the first time you are facing DWI charges, our firm will give your Montgomery City DWI case the personal attention you expect and plan a legal strategy that is made to get you the best results.
Our record of success for those facing DWI charges is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s logical to be nervous. Being pulled over by the cops for any traffic infraction is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is only increased when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having taken hundreds of Montgomery City-area DWI cases, our firm suggests that you follow these steps if you are ever pulled over for DWI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire stop with your phone. Having your own record of your Montgomery City DWI stop can greatly help your case and identify potential discrepancies between the police account and what really happened. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific protocol in every DWI stop, and any wrong or skipped step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, too: judges have ruled that police can seize and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a cop will lower the odds that they will search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. A little politeness is the best thing to do when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but do not give them anything else. Officers are looking for any reason to find probable cause and take you into custody, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for 12 months if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only is in effect after you have been taken into custody for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to take you into custody.
- If you are arrested, talk to a lawyer immediately. Your conversation with an attorney is 100% confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breathalyzer test at the station, any complications that arose during your stop, or additional questions you might have can make the difference between paying substantial fines and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Montgomery City, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you likely know, are serious. Even a first Montgomery City DWI offense could lead to these punishments under Missouri law, as it is defined as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be reduced to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Montgomery City, MO, you will likely be looking at class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include at least 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, trackable BAC monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative component in a Montgomery City, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue handles your license revocation or suspension. Most Montgomery City-area drivers do not know that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, as long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you work with the Montgomery City, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be confident that our firm will handle both parts of your DWI case urgently and work hard to reduce the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, go over the facts of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the police report or arrest, and draw up a strategy that is built to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal outcomes for our Montgomery City, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as evidenced by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Montgomery City DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Montgomery City, MO, you are probably well aware that timing is critical when it comes to your case. The quicker you can get a skilled Montgomery City DWI lawyer to review documents, obtain evidence, and establish your defense, the better the odds are that the effects resulting from your Montgomery City DWI arrest will be greatly limited, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped many Montgomery City-area residents of all kinds take on DWI accusations. Our firm combines first-rate legal acumen and combative litigation with a pledge to provide personal attention and communication that is unequaled among Montgomery City DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that regardless of what time it is, regardless of the situation, and no matter where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk with you about your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our commitment to 100% client satisfaction, which our previous clients can speak to as well.
After you have been pulled over and charged with DWI in the Montgomery City, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial document review and put the veteran Montgomery City DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.