DWI Lawyer in Mehlville, MO
DWI Lawyer in Mehlville, MO. Being pulled over and suspected of driving while intoxicated is definitely one of the biggest worries a Mehlville-area motorist can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a significant fine, face increased insurance costs, and have points on your license for years to come. To make matters worse, your image among friends and neighbors will take a significant impact, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as countries such as Canada bar travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Mehlville?
Having an effective and aggressive Mehlville, MO DWI lawyer in your corner can —and often does — make the difference between being found guilty to DWI and suffering all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight fiercely for all our Mehlville, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any moving violation or if you have previous DWIs on your record, our firm will give your Mehlville DWI case the personal attention you expect and plan a legal strategy that is designed to get you the best possible results.
Our track record of success for those facing DWI charges is unmatched, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s understandable to be nervous. Being pulled over by police for any traffic infraction is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” reaction, and this is only increased when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having tried many Mehlville-area DWI cases, our firm recommends that you take the following course of action if you are ever stopped for DWI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire encounter with your phone. Having your own record of your Mehlville DWI stop can greatly improve your case and highlight potential inconsistencies between the police record and what actually occured. Police officers are required to follow a specific protocol in every DWI stop, and any wrong or skipped step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, as well: courts have ruled that police can detain and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a cop will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to a higher level of scrutiny. A little politeness does you a lot of good when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but do not give them anything else. Cops are looking for any reason to find probable cause and take you into custody, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driving privileges for one year if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only is in effect after you have been placed under arrest for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to place you under arrest.
- If you are arrested, talk to a lawyer as soon as possible. Your discussion with an attorney is completely privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breathalyzer test at the precinct, any issues that came up during your stop, or other questions you might have can be the difference between paying substantial fines and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Mehlville, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are stiff. Even a first Mehlville DWI offense could lead to the following punishments under Missouri law, as it is defined as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be converted to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Mehlville, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include at least 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be anywhere from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, verifiable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative half of a Mehlville, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Mehlville-area drivers do not know that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you work with the Mehlville, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be sure that our firm will tackle both components of your DWI case without delay and work relentlessly to minimize the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will gather evidence, look at the facts of your case, identify potential holes in the police report or arrest, and create a strategy that is built to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal results for our Mehlville, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as shown by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Mehlville DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Mehlville, MO, you are probably well aware that time is money when dealing with your case. The sooner you can get an experienced Mehlville DWI lawyer to look over documents, collect evidence, and build your defense, the higher the chances are that the effects resulting from your Mehlville DWI arrest will be greatly lowered, if not erased.
Combs Law Group has helped many Mehlville-area residents from all backgrounds battle DWI charges. Our firm combines top-notch legal expertise and hard-nosed litigation with a pledge to provide personal service and communication that is unequaled among Mehlville DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that regardless of what time it is, regardless of the situation, and no matter where you are, they will be able to answer your call and discuss your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our promise of 100% client satisfaction, which our former clients can speak to as well.
If you get pulled over and charged with DWI in the Mehlville, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial consultation and put the skilled Mehlville DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group in your corner.