Ask us about our affordable payment options.
DWI Lawyer in Maryland Heights, MO
DWI Lawyer in Maryland Heights, MO. Being pulled over and suspected of driving while intoxicated is arguably one of the worst worries a Maryland Heights-area driver can have. Not only will you be suspended of your driving privileges for a minimum of sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, your insurance premiums will drastically increase, and have points on your license for years to come. To make matters worse, your status in the community will take a massive blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as countries such as Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Maryland Heights?
Having an effective and aggressive Maryland Heights, MO DWI lawyer on your team can —and often does — make the difference between being found guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight relentlessly on behalf of all our Maryland Heights, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for anything or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your Maryland Heights DWI case the personal attention you deserve and create a legal strategy that is built to get you the optimal results.
Our record of success for those accused of DWI is unmatched, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you regardless of any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s natural to be nervous. Being stopped by police for any moving violation is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” reaction, and this is only heightened when you are accused of impaired driving. Having taken a substantial number of Maryland Heights-area DWI cases, our firm recommends that you take the following course of action if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try not to park on grass.
- Record the entire stop with your phone. Having your own account of your Maryland Heights DWI stop can greatly improve your case and identify potential discrepancies between the police record and what really happened. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any wrong or skipped action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, too: courts have ruled that police can seize and search unlocked cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a police officer will lower the odds that they will search your car or subject you to heightened scrutiny. A little politeness is the best thing to do when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but do not give them anything else. Officers are looking for any reason to find probable cause and take you into custody, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for one year if you elect not to take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only comes into effect after you have been taken into custody for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are often unreliable and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- If you are arrested, talk to a lawyer immediately. Your chat with an attorney is completely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breathalyzer test at the precinct, any issues that came up during your stop, or further questions you might have can be the difference between spending time in jail and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Maryland Heights, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are serious. Even a first Maryland Heights DWI offense could lead to these consequences under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be reduced to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Maryland Heights, MO, you will likely be looking at class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include at least 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, trackable alcohol monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative portion of a Maryland Heights, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Maryland Heights-area drivers are unaware that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, so long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you work with the Maryland Heights, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be sure that our firm will take on both parts of your DWI case without delay and work relentlessly to reduce the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will gather evidence, look at the details of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the police report or arrest, and create a strategy that is made to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI VictoriesOur track record for getting optimal results for our Maryland Heights, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as shown by these results:
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Serious felony DUI charges reduced to a lower level.
Contact A Maryland Heights DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Maryland Heights, MO, you are probably cognizant that time is money when it comes to your case. The quicker you can get a skilled Maryland Heights DWI lawyer to read documents, collect evidence, and establish your case, the higher the chances are that the punishments resulting from your Maryland Heights DWI arrest will be greatly lowered, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped many Maryland Heights-area residents from all walks of life fight DWI accusations. Our firm melds best-in-class legal knowledge and combative litigation with a commitment to personal attention and communication that is unmatched among Maryland Heights DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers guarantee that regardless of what time it is, no matter the situation, and no matter the circumstances, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our promise of complete client satisfaction, which our former clients can attest to as well.
After you have been pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Maryland Heights, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial document review and put the veteran Maryland Heights DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.