DWI Lawyer in Lake St. Louis, MO
DWI Lawyer in Lake St. Louis, MO. Getting pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is almost certainly one of the worst fears a Lake St. Louis-area driver can have. Not only will you be suspended of your driving privileges for a minimum of sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, face increased insurance costs, and have points on your license for the near future. Even worse, your status among friends and neighbors will take a massive impact, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be limited, as nations such as Canada prevent travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Lake St. Louis?
Having an aggressive and effective Lake St. Louis, MO DWI lawyer on your team can —and often does — make the difference between being found guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight relentlessly on behalf of all our Lake St. Louis, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for anything or if this is not the first time you are facing DWI charges, our firm will give your Lake St. Louis DWI case the personal attention you expect and plan a legal strategy that is designed to get you the best possible outcome.
Our record of success for those facing DWI charges is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you regardless of any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s logical to be nervous. Being pulled over by law enforcement for any traffic infraction is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” response, and this is only heightened when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having taken a substantial number of Lake St. Louis-area DWI cases, our firm suggests that you take the following course of action if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a safe place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire interaction with your phone. Having your own record of your Lake St. Louis DWI stop can greatly improve your case and identify potential discrepancies between the police record and what actually occured. Police officers are required to follow a set procedure in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, too: judges have ruled that police can seize and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being aggressive with a cop will lower the odds that they will search your car or subject you to heightened scrutiny. Kindness does you a lot of good when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but do not give them anything else. Officers are looking for any excuse to continue an investigation and take you into custody, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driver’s license for one year if you elect not to take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only comes into effect after you have been placed under arrest for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are not consistent and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to place you under arrest.
- If you are arrested, talk to a lawyer as soon as possible. Your conversation with an attorney is entirely privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breath test at the station, any complications that arose in your stop, or additional questions you might have can be the difference between paying substantial fines and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Lake St. Louis, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are stiff. Even a first Lake St. Louis DWI offense could lead to the following consequences under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be converted to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Lake St. Louis, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be anywhere from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, verifiable BAC monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative half of a Lake St. Louis, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue handles your license revocation or suspension. Most Lake St. Louis-area drivers are not aware that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, so long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you hire the Lake St. Louis, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be sure that our firm will tackle both components of your DWI case without delay and work tirelessly to reduce the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will collect evidence, look at the details of your case, identify potential problems in the police report or arrest, and craft a strategy that is built to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting the best results for our Lake St. Louis, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as evidenced by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Lake St. Louis DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Lake St. Louis, MO, you are probably well aware that timing is critical when it comes to your case. The sooner you can get a skilled Lake St. Louis DWI lawyer to review documents, collect evidence, and establish your defense, the better the odds are that the effects resulting from your Lake St. Louis DWI arrest will be greatly limited, if not erased.
Combs Law Group has helped a large number of Lake St. Louis-area residents from all walks of life fight DWI accusations. Our firm combines best-in-class legal expertise and aggressive litigation with a commitment to personal service and communication that is unequaled among Lake St. Louis DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers vow that regardless of what time it is, regardless of the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk with you about your case or any other legal concern. This is part of our promise of complete client satisfaction, which our previous clients can speak to as well.
If you get pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Lake St. Louis, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial consultation and get the veteran Lake St. Louis DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.