DWI Lawyer in Kirkwood, MO
DWI Lawyer in Kirkwood, MO. Getting pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is almost certainly one of the worst fears a Kirkwood-area motorist can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a significant fine, your insurance rates will go up, and have points on your license for years to come. Even worse, your status among friends and neighbors will take a significant blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be limited, as nations including Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Kirkwood?
Having an aggressive and effective Kirkwood, MO DWI lawyer on your case can —and often does — make the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and suffering all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our veteran St. Louis DWI lawyers fight fiercely on behalf of all our Kirkwood, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any moving violation or if this is not the first time you are facing DWI charges, our firm will give your Kirkwood DWI case the personal attention you expect and craft a legal strategy that is designed to get you the optimal outcome.
Our track record of success for those facing DWI charges is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s logical to be nervous. Being stopped by law enforcement for any traffic infraction is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” reaction, and this is only increased when you are accused of impaired driving. Having tried hundreds of Kirkwood-area DWI cases, our firm suggests that you take the following course of action if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire interaction with your phone. Having your own account of your Kirkwood DWI stop can greatly benefit your case and highlight potential differences between the police report and what actually happened. Police officers are required to follow a set procedure in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, as well: judges have ruled that police can detain and search unlocked cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a police officer will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to a higher level of scrutiny. A little politeness does you a lot of good when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but nothing more. Officers are on the lookout for for any reason to find probable cause and arrest you, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for 12 months if you do not take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only applies after you have been arrested for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to take you into custody.
- If you are arrested, talk to a lawyer as soon as you can. Your conversation with an attorney is completely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breath test at the station, any issues that arose in your stop, or further questions you might have can be the difference between paying substantial fines and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Kirkwood, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are stiff. Even a first Kirkwood DWI offense could lead to these consequences under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be converted to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Kirkwood, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include at least 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, verifiable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative component in a Kirkwood, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue handles your license revocation or suspension. Most Kirkwood-area drivers are not aware that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, so long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you hire the Kirkwood, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be sure that our firm will take on both halves of your DWI case as soon as possible and work tirelessly to minimize the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, go over the details of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the police report or arrest, and create a strategy that is designed to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting the best outcomes for our Kirkwood, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as shown by these results:
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Serious felony DUI charges reduced to a lower level.
Contact A Kirkwood DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Kirkwood, MO, you are definitely cognizant that time is of the essence when dealing with your case. The quicker you can get an experienced Kirkwood DWI lawyer to review documents, gather evidence, and craft your case, the better the odds are that the effects resulting from your Kirkwood DWI arrest will be greatly lowered, if not erased.
Combs Law Group has helped a large number of Kirkwood-area residents from all walks of life take on DWI accusations. Our firm combines best-in-class legal knowledge and aggressive litigation with a commitment to personal attention and communication that is unmatched among Kirkwood DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that regardless of what time it is, regardless of the situation, and no matter where you are, they will be able to answer your call and discuss your case or any other legal matter. This is part of our promise of total client satisfaction, which our former clients can attest to as well.
After you have been pulled over and charged with DWI in the Kirkwood, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial case review and put the veteran Kirkwood DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group to work for you.