DWI Lawyer in Imperial, MO
DWI Lawyer in Imperial, MO. Being pulled over and suspected of driving while intoxicated is almost certainly one of the biggest worries a Imperial-area driver can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for a minimum of sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, your insurance premiums will drastically increase, and have points on your license for years to come. To make matters worse, your reputation in the community will take a sizable blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be curtailed, as countries including Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Imperial?
Having an effective and aggressive Imperial, MO DWI lawyer in your corner can —and often does — make the difference between being found guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our veteran St. Louis DWI lawyers fight relentlessly on behalf of all our Imperial, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been pulled over for any moving violation or if you have previous DWIs on your record, our firm will give your Imperial DWI case the personal attention you expect and craft a legal strategy that is designed to get you the best results.
Our record of success for those facing DWI charges is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you regardless of any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s logical to be nervous. Being stopped by the cops for any moving violation is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” response, and this is only heightened when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having tried hundreds of Imperial-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you do the following if you are ever pulled over for DWI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire stop with your phone. Having your own record of your Imperial DWI stop can greatly improve your case and find potential discrepancies between the police record and what really happened. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any missed or incorrect action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, as well: judges have ruled that police can seize and search unlocked cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a police officer will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to a higher level of scrutiny. Being polite goes a long way when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but do not give them anything else. Officers are on the lookout for for any reason to continue an investigation and arrest you, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driving privileges for one year if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only comes into effect after you have been taken into custody for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are often unreliable and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to place you under arrest.
- If you are arrested, talk to a lawyer as soon as you can. Your discussion with an attorney is completely privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a BAC test at the precinct, any complications that arose during your stop, or other questions you might have can make the difference between losing the ability to drive for months and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Imperial, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are serious. Even a first Imperial DWI offense could lead to these consequences under Missouri law, as it is defined as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Imperial, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, trackable BAC monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative portion of a Imperial, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Imperial-area drivers are not aware that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you hire the Imperial, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can rest assured that our firm will take on both sides of your DWI case without delay and work fiercely to reduce the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will collect evidence, go over the facts of your case, identify potential holes in the police report or arrest, and create a strategy that is built to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting the best results for our Imperial, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as evidenced by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Imperial DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Imperial, MO, you are definitely cognizant that time is of the essence when dealing with your case. The quicker you can get a trusted Imperial DWI lawyer to review documents, obtain evidence, and establish your case, the better the odds are that the consequences resulting from your Imperial DWI arrest will be greatly lowered, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped a large number of Imperial-area residents of all kinds fight DWI accusations. Our firm melds top-notch legal acumen and combative litigation with a pledge to provide personal attention and communication that is unequaled among Imperial DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers vow that regardless of what time it is, regardless of the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our promise of 100% client satisfaction, which our previous clients can attest to as well.
If you get pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Imperial, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial consultation and put the veteran Imperial DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group in your corner.