DWI Lawyer in Hermann, MO
DWI Lawyer in Hermann, MO. Being pulled over and accused of driving while intoxicated is arguably one of the biggest worries a Hermann-area driver can have. Not only will you be prohibited from driving for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a significant fine, your insurance rates will go up, and have points on your license for years to come. To make matters worse, your reputation in the community will take a sizable blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as countries such as Canada bar travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Hermann?
Having an effective and aggressive Hermann, MO DWI lawyer on your team can be — and often is — the difference between being found guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight fiercely for all our Hermann, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been pulled over for any violation or if you have previous DWIs on your record, our firm will give your Hermann DWI case the personal attention you expect and craft a legal strategy that is made to get you the best possible results.
Our record of success for those accused of DWI is unmatched, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s natural to be nervous. Being stopped by police for any moving violation is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is only heightened when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having taken a substantial number of Hermann-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you take the following course of action if you are ever stopped for DUI:
- Find a safe place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire stop with your phone. Having your own account of your Hermann DWI stop can greatly help your case and find potential differences between the police report and what really happened. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific protocol in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, as well: courts have ruled that police can search and detain unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being aggressive with a law enforcement officer will increase the likelihood that they will search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. Kindness goes a long way when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but don’t give them any other information. Cops are looking for any reason to find probable cause and take you into custody, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driver’s license for 12 months if you do not take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only comes into effect after you have been arrested for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to place you under arrest.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as you can. Your conversation with an attorney is completely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breathalyzer test at the station, any issues that arose during your stop, or additional questions you might have can make the difference between paying substantial fines and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Hermann, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you likely know, are stiff. Even a first Hermann DWI offense could lead to these punishments under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Hermann, MO, you will likely be looking at class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which ranges from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, verifiable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative half of a Hermann, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Hermann-area drivers are not aware that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, so long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you hire the Hermann, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be sure that our firm will tackle both components of your DWI case urgently and fight tirelessly to reduce the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, go over the details of your case, identify potential problems in the police report or arrest, and draw up a strategy that is designed to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal results for our Hermann, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as seen by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Hermann DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Hermann, MO, you are probably cognizant that time is of the essence when dealing with your case. The sooner you can get a skilled Hermann DWI lawyer to look over documents, gather evidence, and build your defense, the higher the chances are that the punishments resulting from your Hermann DWI arrest will be greatly reduced, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped many Hermann-area residents from all walks of life battle DWI charges. Our firm combines top-notch legal acumen and combative litigation with a commitment to personal attention and communication that is unequaled among Hermann DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that no matter the time, regardless of the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk with you about your case or any other legal concern. This is part of our commitment to total client satisfaction, which our previous clients can speak to as well.
If you get pulled over and charged with DWI in the Hermann, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial document review and put the experienced Hermann DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group to work for you.