DWI Lawyer in Florissant, MO
DWI Lawyer in Florissant, MO. Being pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is arguably one of the worst fears a Florissant-area driver can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, your insurance premiums will drastically increase, and have points on your license for years to come. To make matters worse, your image in the community will take a significant hit, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be limited, as countries including Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Florissant?
Having an aggressive and effective Florissant, MO DWI lawyer on your team can be — and often is — the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our veteran St. Louis DWI lawyers fight tirelessly on behalf of all our Florissant, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for anything or if this is not the first time you are facing DWI charges, our firm will give your Florissant DWI case the personal attention you expect and craft a legal strategy that is designed to get you the optimal results.
Our track record of success for those facing DWI charges is unmatched, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you with no regard to any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s natural to be nervous. Being pulled over by the cops for any moving violation is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” reaction, and this is only heightened when you are accused of impaired driving. Having tried many Florissant-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you take the following course of action if you are ever stopped for DWI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire encounter with your phone. Having your own record of your Florissant DWI stop can greatly improve your case and identify potential inconsistencies between the police report and what actually happened. Police officers are mandated to follow a set procedure in every DWI stop, and any missed or incorrect step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, as well: judges have ruled that police can seize and search unlocked cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being aggressive with a police officer will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to a higher level of scrutiny. Kindness is the best thing to do when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but nothing more. Cops are looking for any excuse to find probable cause and take you into custody, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for one year if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only is in effect after you have been taken into custody for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are not consistent and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to place you under arrest.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer immediately. Your discussion with an attorney is completely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a BAC test at the station, any issues that came up during your stop, or further questions you might have can make the difference between paying substantial fines and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Florissant, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are stiff. Even a first Florissant DWI offense could lead to the following punishments under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be converted to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Florissant, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include at least 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, verifiable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative component in a Florissant, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Florissant-area drivers do not know that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you work with the Florissant, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be confident that our firm will tackle both components of your DWI case without delay and fight hard to minimize the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, look at the facts of your case, identify potential holes in the police report or arrest, and craft a strategy that is made to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal results for our Florissant, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as evidenced by these results:
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Serious felony DUI charges reduced to a lower level.
Contact A Florissant DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Florissant, MO, you are certainly well aware that time is money when dealing with your case. The quicker you can get a skilled Florissant DWI lawyer to read documents, collect evidence, and establish your defense, the better the odds are that the consequences resulting from your Florissant DWI arrest will be greatly limited, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped many Florissant-area residents from all backgrounds take on DWI accusations. Our firm merges best-in-class legal acumen and aggressive litigation with a pledge to provide personal attention and communication that is unmatched among Florissant DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that no matter the time, no matter the situation, and no matter where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our commitment to complete client satisfaction, which our previous clients can speak to as well.
If you get pulled over and charged with DWI in the Florissant, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial case review and get the skilled Florissant DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.