DWI Lawyer in Festus, MO
DWI Lawyer in Festus, MO. Being pulled over and accused of driving while intoxicated is definitely one of the worst fears a Festus-area driver can have. Not only will you be suspended of your driving privileges for a minimum of sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, face increased insurance costs, and have points on your license for the near future. Even worse, your status among friends and neighbors will take a massive impact, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as countries such as Canada bar travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Festus?
Having an aggressive and effective Festus, MO DWI lawyer on your case can —and often does — make the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and facing all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our experienced St. Louis DWI lawyers fight tirelessly for all our Festus, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any violation or if this is not the first time you are facing DWI charges, our firm will give your Festus DWI case the personal attention you deserve and craft a legal strategy that is built to get you the best possible results.
Our track record of success for those facing DWI charges is unmatched, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you regardless of any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s understandable to be nervous. Being pulled over by the cops for any traffic infraction is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” response, and this is only increased when you are accused of impaired driving. Having tried hundreds of Festus-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you follow these steps if you are ever pulled over for DWI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire interaction with your phone. Having your own account of your Festus DWI stop can greatly improve your case and identify potential discrepancies between the police record and what really happened. Police officers are required to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any missed or incorrect step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, too: courts have ruled that police can detain and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being aggressive with a cop will increase the likelihood that they will search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. A little politeness is the best thing to do when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but do not give them anything else. Cops are on the lookout for for any excuse to find probable cause and arrest you, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driver’s license for 12 months if you elect not to take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only comes into effect after you have been arrested for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to take you into custody.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer immediately. Your conversation with an attorney is entirely privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breath test at the precinct, any issues that arose in your stop, or other questions you might have can make the difference between spending time in jail and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Festus, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you likely know, are stiff. Even a first Festus DWI offense could lead to these consequences under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Festus, MO, you will likely be looking at class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include at least 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, trackable BAC monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative portion of a Festus, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Festus-area drivers are unaware that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, as long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you work with the Festus, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can rest assured that our firm will tackle both halves of your DWI case as soon as possible and fight fiercely to minimize the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, go over the facts of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the police report or arrest, and create a strategy that is made to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting the best outcomes for our Festus, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as evidenced by these results:
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Serious felony DUI charges reduced to a lower level.
Contact A Festus DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Festus, MO, you are probably well aware that timing is critical when it comes to your case. The quicker you can get a skilled Festus DWI lawyer to read documents, gather evidence, and craft your case, the better the odds are that the punishments resulting from your Festus DWI arrest will be greatly limited, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped a large number of Festus-area residents from all backgrounds fight DWI accusations. Our firm combines first-rate legal acumen and combative litigation with a commitment to personal attention and communication that is unequaled among Festus DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that no matter the time, no matter the situation, and no matter where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal matter. This is part of our promise of complete client satisfaction, which our former clients can speak to as well.
After you have been pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Festus, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial document review and put the skilled Festus DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group in your corner.