Ask us about our affordable payment options.
DWI Lawyer in Ferguson, MO
DWI Lawyer in Ferguson, MO. Being pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is definitely one of the worst fears a Ferguson-area motorist can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a significant fine, face increased insurance costs, and have points on your license for the near future. Even worse, your reputation among friends and neighbors will take a massive impact, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as countries such as Canada prevent travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Ferguson?
Having an effective and aggressive Ferguson, MO DWI lawyer in your corner can be — and often is — the difference between being found guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight relentlessly for all our Ferguson, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any moving violation or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your Ferguson DWI case the personal attention you expect and create a legal strategy that is designed to get you the optimal outcome.
Our record of success for those facing DWI charges is unmatched, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you regardless of any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s natural to be nervous. Being stopped by the cops for any moving violation is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is only increased when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having tried hundreds of Ferguson-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you follow these steps if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire interaction with your phone. Having your own record of your Ferguson DWI stop can greatly improve your case and identify potential discrepancies between the police account and what actually occured. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific protocol in every DWI stop, and any wrong or skipped step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, too: judges have ruled that police can detain and search unlocked cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being aggressive with a law enforcement officer will lower the odds that they will search your car or subject you to heightened scrutiny. Kindness goes a long way when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but nothing more. Officers are on the lookout for for any reason to continue an investigation and take you into custody, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driver’s license for one year if you do not take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only applies after you have been taken into custody for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as possible. Your chat with an attorney is completely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a BAC test at the station, any issues that arose during your stop, or additional questions you might have can make the difference between losing the ability to drive for months and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Ferguson, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are stiff. Even a first Ferguson DWI offense could lead to these consequences under Missouri law, as it is defined as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Ferguson, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include no less than 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, verifiable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative portion of a Ferguson, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Ferguson-area drivers do not know that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, as long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you work with the Ferguson, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can rest assured that our firm will tackle both components of your DWI case without delay and fight tirelessly to limit the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will collect evidence, go over the details of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the police report or arrest, and craft a strategy that is built to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI VictoriesOur track record for getting optimal outcomes for our Ferguson, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as evidenced by these results:
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Serious felony DUI charges reduced to a lower level.
Contact A Ferguson DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Ferguson, MO, you are certainly cognizant that time is of the essence when dealing with your case. The quicker you can get a skilled Ferguson DWI lawyer to look over documents, collect evidence, and establish your defense, the better the odds are that the punishments resulting from your Ferguson DWI arrest will be greatly lowered, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped hundreds of Ferguson-area residents from all backgrounds fight DWI charges. Our firm melds top-notch legal knowledge and combative litigation with a commitment to personal service and communication that is unmatched among Ferguson DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that regardless of what time it is, no matter the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal matter. This is part of our commitment to total client satisfaction, which our previous clients can attest to as well.
After you have been pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Ferguson, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial case review and get the experienced Ferguson DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group in your corner.