DWI Lawyer in Fenton, MO
DWI Lawyer in Fenton, MO. Being pulled over and suspected of driving while intoxicated is definitely one of the biggest worries a Fenton-area motorist can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a hefty fine, your insurance premiums will drastically increase, and have points on your license for years to come. Even worse, your status among friends and neighbors will take a massive impact, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be limited, as countries including Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Fenton?
Having an aggressive and effective Fenton, MO DWI lawyer on your case can —and often does — make the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and facing all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our experienced St. Louis DWI lawyers fight tirelessly on behalf of all our Fenton, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any violation or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your Fenton DWI case the personal attention you deserve and plan a legal strategy that is made to get you the optimal outcome.
Our track record of success for those accused of DWI is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you with no regard to any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s logical to be nervous. Being pulled over by police for any traffic infraction is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is only heightened when you are accused of impaired driving. Having taken a substantial number of Fenton-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you do the following if you are ever stopped for DUI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire interaction with your phone. Having your own account of your Fenton DWI stop can greatly benefit your case and highlight potential inconsistencies between the police report and what really happened. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, as well: judges have ruled that police can search and detain unlocked cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being aggressive with a law enforcement officer will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to heightened scrutiny. A little politeness goes a long way when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but nothing more. Officers are on the lookout for for any reason to find probable cause and take you into custody, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driver’s license for one year if you elect not to take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only applies after you have been taken into custody for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are not consistent and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- If you are arrested, talk to a lawyer as soon as possible. Your discussion with an attorney is completely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breathalyzer test at the station, any issues that came up during your stop, or other questions you might have can make the difference between paying substantial fines and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Fenton, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are stiff. Even a first Fenton DWI offense could lead to these punishments under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Fenton, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which ranges from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, trackable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative half of a Fenton, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue handles your license revocation or suspension. Most Fenton-area drivers are not aware that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you work with the Fenton, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can rest assured that our firm will tackle both halves of your DWI case as soon as possible and work hard to limit the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, look at the facts of your case, identify potential problems in the police report or arrest, and draw up a strategy that is built to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal outcomes for our Fenton, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as shown by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Fenton DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Fenton, MO, you are certainly well aware that time is money when dealing with your case. The quicker you can get a trusted Fenton DWI lawyer to read documents, collect evidence, and craft your defense, the higher the chances are that the punishments resulting from your Fenton DWI arrest will be greatly lowered, if not erased.
Combs Law Group has helped a large number of Fenton-area residents from all backgrounds take on DWI charges. Our firm combines top-notch legal acumen and aggressive litigation with a commitment to personal service and communication that is unequaled among Fenton DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers vow that no matter the time, no matter the situation, and no matter the circumstances, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal matter. This is part of our commitment to total client satisfaction, which our previous clients can attest to as well.
If you get pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Fenton, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial consultation and put the experienced Fenton DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.