DWI Lawyer in Eureka, MO
DWI Lawyer in Eureka, MO. Being pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is arguably one of the worst fears a Eureka-area motorist can have. Not only will you be prohibited from driving for a minimum of sixty days, you will have to pay a hefty fine, your insurance rates will go up, and have points on your license for years to come. Even worse, your reputation in the community will take a massive blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as countries such as Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Eureka?
Having an effective and aggressive Eureka, MO DWI lawyer on your team can —and often does — make the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our veteran St. Louis DWI lawyers fight tirelessly for all our Eureka, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been pulled over for any moving violation or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your Eureka DWI case the personal attention you expect and create a legal strategy that is made to get you the optimal results.
Our record of success for those facing DWI charges is unmatched, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you with no regard to any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s natural to be nervous. Being stopped by law enforcement for any moving violation is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is only increased when you are accused of impaired driving. Having taken many Eureka-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you take the following course of action if you are ever pulled over for DWI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try not to park on grass.
- Record the entire interaction with your phone. Having your own record of your Eureka DWI stop can greatly benefit your case and identify potential discrepancies between the police report and what actually occured. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific protocol in every DWI stop, and any missed or incorrect action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, as well: courts have ruled that police can seize and search unlocked cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a cop will increase the likelihood that they will search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. Kindness is the best thing to do when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but don’t give them any other information. Officers are on the lookout for for any reason to continue an investigation and take you into custody, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for 12 months if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only applies after you have been arrested for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are often unreliable and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to place you under arrest.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer immediately. Your discussion with an attorney is completely privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breath test at the station, any complications that arose during your stop, or other questions you might have can be the difference between losing the ability to drive for months and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Eureka, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are serious. Even a first Eureka DWI offense could lead to the following punishments under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be reduced to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Eureka, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be anywhere from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, verifiable alcohol monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative component in a Eureka, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Eureka-area drivers are not aware that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you hire the Eureka, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be confident that our firm will take on both sides of your DWI case as soon as possible and fight tirelessly to minimize the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will gather evidence, go over the facts of your case, identify potential problems in the police report or arrest, and create a strategy that is built to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting the best results for our Eureka, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as shown by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Eureka DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Eureka, MO, you are definitely cognizant that time is money when dealing with your case. The sooner you can get a trusted Eureka DWI lawyer to read documents, obtain evidence, and craft your defense, the higher the chances are that the punishments resulting from your Eureka DWI arrest will be greatly limited, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped many Eureka-area residents from all backgrounds fight DWI charges. Our firm melds best-in-class legal acumen and aggressive litigation with a pledge to provide personal attention and communication that is unmatched among Eureka DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that no matter the time, regardless of the situation, and no matter the circumstances, they will be able to answer your call and discuss your case or any other legal matter. This is part of our commitment to 100% client satisfaction, which our previous clients can attest to as well.
After you have been pulled over and charged with DWI in the Eureka, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial document review and put the veteran Eureka DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group in your corner.