Ask us about our affordable payment options.
DWI Lawyer in Des Peres, MO
DWI Lawyer in Des Peres, MO. Being pulled over and suspected of driving while intoxicated is almost certainly one of the worst fears a Des Peres-area motorist can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a significant fine, your insurance rates will go up, and have points on your license for the near future. To make matters worse, your image in the community will take a sizable blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be curtailed, as nations such as Canada prevent travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Des Peres?
Having an effective and aggressive Des Peres, MO DWI lawyer in your corner can be — and often is — the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight relentlessly on behalf of all our Des Peres, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been pulled over for any moving violation or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your Des Peres DWI case the personal attention you deserve and create a legal strategy that is designed to get you the best outcome.
Our track record of success for those accused of DWI is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you regardless of any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s natural to be nervous. Being stopped by law enforcement for any moving violation is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” response, and this is only heightened when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having tried hundreds of Des Peres-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you do the following if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a safe place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire interaction with your phone. Having your own account of your Des Peres DWI stop can greatly benefit your case and find potential differences between the police account and what actually happened. Police officers are required to follow a set protocol in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, as well: judges have ruled that police can detain and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a cop will lower the odds that they will search your car or subject you to heightened scrutiny. Being polite goes a long way when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but do not give them anything else. Officers are on the lookout for for any excuse to find probable cause and take you into custody, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driving privileges for 12 months if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only is in effect after you have been placed under arrest for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are not consistent and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to place you under arrest.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as you can. Your discussion with an attorney is entirely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breathalyzer test at the precinct, any complications that arose in your stop, or further questions you might have can make the difference between losing the ability to drive for months and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Des Peres, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you likely know, are stiff. Even a first Des Peres DWI offense could lead to these punishments under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be converted to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Des Peres, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which ranges from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, trackable alcohol monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative portion of a Des Peres, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Des Peres-area drivers do not know that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, as long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you work with the Des Peres, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be confident that our firm will handle both parts of your DWI case urgently and fight relentlessly to limit the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, look at the details of your case, identify potential holes in the police report or arrest, and create a strategy that is designed to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI VictoriesOur track record for getting optimal outcomes for our Des Peres, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as evidenced by these results:
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Serious felony DUI charges reduced to a lower level.
Contact A Des Peres DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Des Peres, MO, you are certainly well aware that time is money when it comes to your case. The quicker you can get a skilled Des Peres DWI lawyer to read documents, gather evidence, and establish your case, the better the odds are that the effects resulting from your Des Peres DWI arrest will be greatly limited, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped a large number of Des Peres-area residents of all kinds fight DWI accusations. Our firm merges first-rate legal acumen and hard-nosed litigation with a promise to provide personal service and communication that is unequaled among Des Peres DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers vow that regardless of what time it is, regardless of the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal concern. This is part of our commitment to 100% client satisfaction, which our previous clients can speak to as well.
If you get pulled over and charged with DWI in the Des Peres, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial consultation and get the veteran Des Peres DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group to work for you.