DWI Lawyer in Defiance, MO
DWI Lawyer in Defiance, MO. Being pulled over and accused of driving while intoxicated is almost certainly one of the biggest worries a Defiance-area driver can have. Not only will you be prohibited from driving for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a hefty fine, your insurance premiums will drastically increase, and have points on your license for the near future. To make matters worse, your image among friends and neighbors will take a sizable impact, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be curtailed, as nations including Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Defiance?
Having an aggressive and effective Defiance, MO DWI lawyer in your corner can be — and often is — the difference between being found guilty to DWI and suffering all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight relentlessly on behalf of all our Defiance, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for anything or if you have previous DWIs on your record, our firm will give your Defiance DWI case the personal attention you deserve and craft a legal strategy that is made to get you the best results.
Our track record of success for those accused of DWI is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you regardless of any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s natural to be nervous. Being stopped by law enforcement for any moving violation is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” reaction, and this is only heightened when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having tried a substantial number of Defiance-area DWI cases, our firm suggests that you follow these steps if you are ever stopped for DUI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire encounter with your phone. Having your own account of your Defiance DWI stop can greatly improve your case and find potential differences between the police report and what really occured. Police officers are required to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, as well: courts have ruled that police can seize and search unlocked cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being aggressive with a law enforcement officer will increase the likelihood that they will search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. Being polite is the best thing to do when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but don’t give them any other information. Cops are on the lookout for for any excuse to find probable cause and take you into custody, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driver’s license for 12 months if you do not take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only comes into effect after you have been arrested for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are often unreliable and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to place you under arrest.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as you can. Your conversation with an attorney is 100% privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a BAC test at the precinct, any complications that came up during your stop, or further questions you might have can make the difference between paying substantial fines and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Defiance, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are stiff. Even a first Defiance DWI offense could lead to these consequences under Missouri law, as it is defined as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be converted to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Defiance, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include at least 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which ranges from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, trackable BAC monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative component in a Defiance, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Defiance-area drivers are unaware that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you hire the Defiance, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be confident that our firm will handle both halves of your DWI case as soon as possible and fight fiercely to minimize the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, go over the facts of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the police report or arrest, and craft a strategy that is designed to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal outcomes for our Defiance, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as seen by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Defiance DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Defiance, MO, you are probably well aware that time is money when it comes to your case. The sooner you can get an experienced Defiance DWI lawyer to read documents, obtain evidence, and build your case, the better the odds are that the effects resulting from your Defiance DWI arrest will be greatly lowered, if not erased.
Combs Law Group has helped many Defiance-area residents from all walks of life fight DWI charges. Our firm melds best-in-class legal expertise and hard-nosed litigation with a promise to provide personal service and communication that is unequaled among Defiance DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that regardless of what time it is, regardless of the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal concern. This is part of our commitment to total client satisfaction, which our previous clients can speak to as well.
If you get pulled over and charged with DWI in the Defiance, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial case review and put the experienced Defiance DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.