DWI Lawyer in De Soto, MO
DWI Lawyer in De Soto, MO. Being pulled over and accused of driving while intoxicated is almost certainly one of the worst fears a De Soto-area driver can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for a minimum of sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, your insurance rates will go up, and have points on your license for the near future. Even worse, your image in the community will take a sizable hit, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as nations such as Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in De Soto?
Having an effective and aggressive De Soto, MO DWI lawyer on your team can —and often does — make the difference between being found guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our experienced St. Louis DWI lawyers fight fiercely for all our De Soto, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any moving violation or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your De Soto DWI case the personal attention you deserve and create a legal strategy that is made to get you the best outcome.
Our track record of success for those facing DWI charges is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you regardless of any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s logical to be nervous. Being pulled over by the cops for any traffic infraction is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” response, and this is only increased when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having taken a substantial number of De Soto-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you follow these steps if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire stop with your phone. Having your own account of your De Soto DWI stop can greatly benefit your case and find potential differences between the police record and what really happened. Police officers are required to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, too: judges have ruled that police can detain and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a law enforcement officer will lower the odds that they will search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. Kindness does you a lot of good when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but don’t give them any other information. Cops are looking for any excuse to find probable cause and arrest you, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driving privileges for one year if you elect not to take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only comes into effect after you have been taken into custody for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are often unreliable and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as possible. Your discussion with an attorney is 100% privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breathalyzer test at the precinct, any issues that arose during your stop, or further questions you might have can make the difference between spending time in jail and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your De Soto, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are serious. Even a first De Soto DWI offense could lead to the following consequences under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be reduced to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in De Soto, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include no less than 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which ranges from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, verifiable alcohol monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative half of a De Soto, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue handles your license revocation or suspension. Most De Soto-area drivers do not know that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, as long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you hire the De Soto, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be sure that our firm will handle both sides of your DWI case urgently and fight tirelessly to reduce the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will collect evidence, look at the details of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the police report or arrest, and create a strategy that is made to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting the best results for our De Soto, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as seen by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A De Soto DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in De Soto, MO, you are definitely cognizant that timing is critical when dealing with your case. The quicker you can get a trusted De Soto DWI lawyer to read documents, obtain evidence, and establish your case, the higher the chances are that the effects resulting from your De Soto DWI arrest will be greatly reduced, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped hundreds of De Soto-area residents from all backgrounds fight DWI accusations. Our firm combines best-in-class legal expertise and combative litigation with a commitment to personal service and communication that is unmatched among De Soto DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers guarantee that no matter the time, regardless of the situation, and no matter where you are, they will be able to answer your call and discuss your case or any other legal concern. This is part of our promise of 100% client satisfaction, which our previous clients can speak to as well.
After you have been pulled over and charged with DWI in the De Soto, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial consultation and put the skilled De Soto DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.