DWI Lawyer in Crestwood, MO
DWI Lawyer in Crestwood, MO. Getting pulled over and accused of driving while intoxicated is almost certainly one of the biggest fears a Crestwood-area motorist can have. Not only will you be suspended of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a significant fine, face increased insurance costs, and have points on your license for years to come. Even worse, your status in the community will take a significant hit, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be curtailed, as countries such as Canada bar travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Crestwood?
Having an aggressive and effective Crestwood, MO DWI lawyer in your corner can be — and often is — the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our veteran St. Louis DWI lawyers fight fiercely on behalf of all our Crestwood, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for anything or if this is not the first time you are facing DWI charges, our firm will give your Crestwood DWI case the personal attention you deserve and plan a legal strategy that is built to get you the best outcome.
Our record of success for those facing DWI charges is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you with no regard to any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s understandable to be nervous. Being stopped by law enforcement for any traffic infraction is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” reaction, and this is only increased when you are accused of impaired driving. Having taken hundreds of Crestwood-area DWI cases, our firm recommends that you take the following course of action if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire interaction with your phone. Having your own account of your Crestwood DWI stop can greatly improve your case and highlight potential discrepancies between the police record and what actually happened. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any wrong or skipped step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, too: judges have ruled that police can seize and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being aggressive with a law enforcement officer will lower the odds that they will search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. A little politeness does you a lot of good when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but don’t give them any other information. Cops are on the lookout for for any reason to continue an investigation and arrest you, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for one year if you do not take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only is in effect after you have been arrested for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are not consistent and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as possible. Your conversation with an attorney is 100% privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breath test at the station, any issues that arose during your stop, or further questions you might have can make the difference between spending time in jail and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Crestwood, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you likely know, are serious. Even a first Crestwood DWI offense could lead to these consequences under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be reduced to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Crestwood, MO, you will likely be looking at class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, verifiable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative half of a Crestwood, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Crestwood-area drivers are unaware that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you work with the Crestwood, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be sure that our firm will tackle both components of your DWI case without delay and work hard to limit the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will gather evidence, look at the details of your case, identify potential problems in the police report or arrest, and draw up a strategy that is built to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal outcomes for our Crestwood, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as shown by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Crestwood DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Crestwood, MO, you are definitely cognizant that timing is critical when it comes to your case. The quicker you can get a trusted Crestwood DWI lawyer to review documents, obtain evidence, and build your defense, the better the odds are that the consequences resulting from your Crestwood DWI arrest will be greatly lowered, if not erased.
Combs Law Group has helped a large number of Crestwood-area residents of all kinds fight DWI accusations. Our firm combines top-notch legal expertise and combative litigation with a commitment to personal attention and communication that is unequaled among Crestwood DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers vow that regardless of what time it is, no matter the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our commitment to complete client satisfaction, which our former clients can speak to as well.
After you have been pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Crestwood, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial document review and get the experienced Crestwood DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.