DWI Lawyer Columbia, MO
DWI Lawyer in Columbia, MO. Facing allegations of driving while intoxicated (DWI) can be a daunting experience, especially considering the likely repercussions for Columbia, MO drivers. Beyond the immediate consequences of a minimum 60-day suspension of your driving privileges, hefty fines, elevated insurance expenses, and enduring points on your license, the aftermath extends to enduring damage to your reputation within your Columbia community or your professional sphere. Also, international travel prospects may be constrained, with countries like Canada prohibiting entry for individuals with a DWI conviction on their record.
If you have been pulled over and are facing DWI charges, you need a top-tier Columbia, MO DWI lawyer on your side right now. Call Combs Law Group as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online so that we can get to work building your defense right away. Our attorneys are available for free, no-obligation consultations where they can discuss the specifics of your case with you and plan your next steps.
Have You Been Pulled Over Anywhere in the Columbia, MO Area?
Having a tenacious and effective Columbia, MO DWI lawyer on your case can — and often does — make the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and suffering all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our knowledgeable Columbia, MO DWI attorneys fight tirelessly on behalf of all our clients throughout the Columbia, MO area facing DWI charges. No matter if this is the first time you have ever been pulled over for anything or if this is not the first time you are facing DWI charges, our firm will give your Columbia, MO DWI case the personal attention you are looking for and craft a legal strategy that is built to get you the best possible results.
Our record of success for those accused of DWI in Columbia is second to none, and we are committed to complete client satisfaction in everything we do. When facing DWI charges near Columbia, MO, prioritize making (314) 900-HELP your initial contact. We provide free case reviews and, at Combs Law Group, we are devoted to working with you, accommodating any financial hardships you may be facing, to mount a robust defense against your DWI charges in Columbia, MO.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs near Columbia, MO, it’s natural to feel nervous. Being stopped by law enforcement for any moving violation is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is amplified when you are accused of impaired driving. With extensive experience handling numerous Columbia, MO-area DWI cases, our firm suggests the following course of action if you find yourself pulled over for DWI:
- Safely pull over. Safely pull your vehicle to the side of the road. Use your turn signal, and select a well-lit safe area. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or find a nearby parking lot. Avoid parking on grass to maintain safety and compliance.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Remain calm and composed. Being hostile to a police officer will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. Being polite goes a long way when stopped for DWI in the Columbia, MO area.
- Avoid self-incrimination. Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but refrain from offering additional information. Law enforcement is seeking any reason to continue an investigation and arrest you, so do not give them any. You can always choose not to answer potentially incriminating questions, like “Have you been drinking?” by saying that you would rather not answer without legal advice.
- Avoid the portable breath test. Refrain from taking a portable breath test. While Missouri enforces implied consent laws that lead to a one-year license revocation for refusing a breathalyzer or blood test, this is applicable only after you are formally arrested for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are often deemed unreliable and are primarily used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as you can. Your conversation with an attorney is entirely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced Columbia, MO DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breath test at the station, addressing any issues during your stop, or other questions you might have can make the difference between losing your driving privileges for months and your case potentially being dismissed.
Being charged with driving under the influence carries severe legal repercussions in Columbia, MO, encompassing fines, the suspension of your driver’s license, and the possibility of incarceration. Gaining a comprehensive understanding of the potential consequences is crucial, and a Combs Law Group attorney is ready to provide detailed insights and more during a free consultation. DWI laws can differ across jurisdictions, even in smaller areas neighboring Columbia, MO, emphasizing the importance of seeking guidance from an attorney well-versed in the local legal landscape for personalized advice tailored to your unique circumstancesDriving under the influence has severe legal consequences in Columbia, MO, including fines, license suspension, and possible jail time. Knowing the potential outcomes is essential, and a Combs Law Group attorney will do that and more during a free consultation. Laws regarding DWI vary by jurisdiction, even small areas neighboring Columbia, MO, so it’s advisable to consult with a lawyer familiar with the laws in your area for specific advice tailored to your situation.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your DWI Case in Columbia, MO
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: the criminal aspect and the civil facet. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri are undeniably severe, with even a first DWI offense possibly resulting in substantial consequences as outlined in accordance with Missouri law, categorizing it as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as Substance Awareness Traffic Offender Program (SATOP)
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as a Certificate of Financial Responsibility or an SR-22
Our skilled Columbia, MO legal team makes sure that the residents of Columbia, MO receive the best possible legal presentation, no matter the circumstance. After all, good people often find themselves in dire situations. In addition to DWI defense in Columbia, MO, our attorneys are experienced in many types of cases, such as:
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If you find yourself facing a second DWI arrest in Columbia, MO, be prepared for the prospect of dealing with class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which ranges from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, a breath alcohol ignition interlock device (BAIID). This keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit.
- Continuous, trackable alcohol monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan (SR-22)
The administrative facet in a Columbia, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue manages your license revocation or suspension. Many Columbia, MO-area drivers do not know that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, as long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest in Columbia, MO.
When you enlist the impeccable services of the DWI lawyers with experience in Columbia, MO at Combs Law Group, you can be confident that our firm will tackle both facets of your DWI case as soon as possible and work hard to minimize the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will compile evidence, look at the facts of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the Columbia police report or arrest, and craft a strategy that is built for success. Call us today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting the best possible outcomes for our Columbia, MO DWI clients is unequaled in the Columbia area, as highlighted by these results:
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Serious felony DUI charges reduced to a lower level.
Contact A DWI Lawyer Who Wins in Columbia, MO | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Columbia, MO, you likely understand the urgency surrounding your case. Swift action is crucial in securing a seasoned Columbia, MO DWI lawyer to examine documents, gather evidence, and construct a robust case, the better the odds are that the consequences resulting from your DWI arrest in Columbia will be greatly mitigated or even eradicated.
For numerous individuals in Columbia, MO, Combs Law Group has been a beacon of support when facing DWI charges. Our firm seamlessly combines unparalleled legal expertise and aggressive litigation with a dedication to personalized service and communication that is unmatched among DWI law firms near Columbia, MO and throughout Missouri. Our DWI lawyers assure you that, regardless of the time, location, or situation, they will promptly answer your call to discuss your case or any other legal concerns. This is part of our commitment to complete client satisfaction, as affirmed by our satisfied clients.
After you have been pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Columbia, MO area, prioritize calling (314) 900-HELP to schedule a free initial consultation. Trust the experienced Columbia, MO DWI attorneys at Combs Law Group to diligently handle your case.