DWI Lawyer in Clopton, MO
DWI Lawyer in Clopton, MO. Getting pulled over and accused of driving while intoxicated is arguably one of the biggest worries a Clopton-area driver can have. Not only will you be suspended of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a significant fine, face increased insurance costs, and have points on your license for the near future. To make matters worse, your reputation in the community will take a massive impact, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be limited, as nations such as Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Clopton?
Having an effective and aggressive Clopton, MO DWI lawyer on your team can be — and often is — the difference between being found guilty to DWI and suffering all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight fiercely for all our Clopton, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been pulled over for any violation or if you have previous DWIs on your record, our firm will give your Clopton DWI case the personal attention you expect and create a legal strategy that is built to get you the optimal outcome.
Our record of success for those facing DWI charges is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you with no regard to any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s logical to be nervous. Being stopped by the cops for any moving violation is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” reaction, and this is only heightened when you are accused of impaired driving. Having tried hundreds of Clopton-area DWI cases, our firm recommends that you do the following if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire interaction with your phone. Having your own account of your Clopton DWI stop can greatly improve your case and highlight potential discrepancies between the police account and what really happened. Police officers are mandated to follow a set procedure in every DWI stop, and any wrong or skipped step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, too: courts have ruled that police can search and detain unlocked cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a police officer will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to a higher level of scrutiny. Being polite goes a long way when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but do not give them anything else. Cops are looking for any excuse to find probable cause and arrest you, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driving privileges for 12 months if you do not take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only applies after you have been arrested for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are not consistent and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer immediately. Your discussion with an attorney is 100% privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a BAC test at the station, any issues that arose in your stop, or additional questions you might have can be the difference between spending time in jail and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Clopton, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are serious. Even a first Clopton DWI offense could lead to the following punishments under Missouri law, as it is defined as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be converted to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Clopton, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be anywhere from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, trackable alcohol monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative half of a Clopton, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue handles your license revocation or suspension. Most Clopton-area drivers do not know that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, as long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you hire the Clopton, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can rest assured that our firm will tackle both halves of your DWI case without delay and work fiercely to reduce the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, go over the facts of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the police report or arrest, and create a strategy that is designed to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal results for our Clopton, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as seen by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Clopton DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Clopton, MO, you are definitely cognizant that time is of the essence when it comes to your case. The quicker you can get an experienced Clopton DWI lawyer to review documents, obtain evidence, and craft your case, the better the odds are that the consequences resulting from your Clopton DWI arrest will be greatly limited, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped many Clopton-area residents from all walks of life fight DWI accusations. Our firm merges top-notch legal acumen and aggressive litigation with a pledge to provide personal attention and communication that is unmatched among Clopton DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers guarantee that regardless of what time it is, regardless of the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk with you about your case or any other legal matter. This is part of our commitment to 100% client satisfaction, which our former clients can attest to as well.
If you get pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Clopton, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial case review and get the skilled Clopton DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group in your corner.