DWI Lawyer in Clayton, MO
DWI Lawyer in Clayton, MO. Getting pulled over and suspected of driving while intoxicated is almost certainly one of the biggest fears a Clayton-area motorist can have. Not only will you be prohibited from driving for a minimum of sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, face increased insurance costs, and have points on your license for the near future. Even worse, your status among friends and neighbors will take a massive impact, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as nations such as Canada bar travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Clayton?
Having an aggressive and effective Clayton, MO DWI lawyer on your team can be — and often is — the difference between being found guilty to DWI and facing all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our experienced St. Louis DWI lawyers fight fiercely on behalf of all our Clayton, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been pulled over for anything or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your Clayton DWI case the personal attention you deserve and plan a legal strategy that is designed to get you the optimal outcome.
Our record of success for those facing DWI charges is unmatched, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s logical to be nervous. Being pulled over by police for any moving violation is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is only increased when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having tried many Clayton-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you follow these steps if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a safe place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire stop with your phone. Having your own account of your Clayton DWI stop can greatly help your case and find potential differences between the police account and what really occured. Police officers are required to follow a set procedure in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, as well: courts have ruled that police can seize and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being aggressive with a police officer will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to a higher level of scrutiny. Kindness is the best thing to do when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but don’t give them any other information. Cops are on the lookout for for any excuse to continue an investigation and arrest you, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driving privileges for 12 months if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only applies after you have been taken into custody for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are not consistent and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to take you into custody.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as you can. Your discussion with an attorney is completely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breath test at the station, any complications that came up during your stop, or additional questions you might have can make the difference between spending time in jail and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Clayton, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you likely know, are stiff. Even a first Clayton DWI offense could lead to the following consequences under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Clayton, MO, you will likely be looking at class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be anywhere from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, verifiable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative portion of a Clayton, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Clayton-area drivers are not aware that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, as long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you hire the Clayton, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be sure that our firm will take on both halves of your DWI case without delay and work fiercely to minimize the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will gather evidence, go over the facts of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the police report or arrest, and craft a strategy that is designed to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal outcomes for our Clayton, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as shown by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Clayton DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Clayton, MO, you are probably cognizant that time is of the essence when dealing with your case. The quicker you can get a trusted Clayton DWI lawyer to review documents, collect evidence, and craft your defense, the higher the chances are that the consequences resulting from your Clayton DWI arrest will be greatly reduced, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped hundreds of Clayton-area residents of all kinds take on DWI accusations. Our firm combines top-notch legal knowledge and aggressive litigation with a pledge to provide personal service and communication that is unmatched among Clayton DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that no matter the time, regardless of the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our commitment to total client satisfaction, which our previous clients can speak to as well.
If you get pulled over and charged with DWI in the Clayton, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial case review and get the skilled Clayton DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.