DWI Lawyer in Cedar Hill, MO
DWI Lawyer in Cedar Hill, MO. Getting pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is definitely one of the biggest fears a Cedar Hill-area driver can have. Not only will you be suspended of your driving privileges for a minimum of sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, face increased insurance costs, and have points on your license for years to come. Even worse, your image in the community will take a massive blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as nations such as Canada bar travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Cedar Hill?
Having an effective and aggressive Cedar Hill, MO DWI lawyer in your corner can be — and often is — the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and suffering all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight tirelessly on behalf of all our Cedar Hill, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any moving violation or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your Cedar Hill DWI case the personal attention you expect and craft a legal strategy that is made to get you the optimal results.
Our record of success for those accused of DWI is unmatched, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s natural to be nervous. Being stopped by the cops for any traffic infraction is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is only heightened when you are accused of impaired driving. Having taken a substantial number of Cedar Hill-area DWI cases, our firm requests that you take the following course of action if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try not to park on grass.
- Record the entire interaction with your phone. Having your own account of your Cedar Hill DWI stop can greatly help your case and highlight potential differences between the police report and what actually happened. Police officers are required to follow a set procedure in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, as well: judges have ruled that police can detain and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being aggressive with a police officer will lower the odds that they will search your car or subject you to heightened scrutiny. A little politeness does you a lot of good when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but nothing more. Officers are on the lookout for for any excuse to continue an investigation and take you into custody, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driving privileges for one year if you do not take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only applies after you have been placed under arrest for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to take you into custody.
- If you are arrested, talk to a lawyer as soon as possible. Your chat with an attorney is entirely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a BAC test at the precinct, any issues that arose in your stop, or further questions you might have can be the difference between paying substantial fines and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Cedar Hill, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are stiff. Even a first Cedar Hill DWI offense could lead to the following consequences under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Cedar Hill, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include no less than 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, verifiable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative half of a Cedar Hill, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Cedar Hill-area drivers do not know that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, as long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you hire the Cedar Hill, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be confident that our firm will handle both halves of your DWI case without delay and fight tirelessly to minimize the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, look at the facts of your case, identify potential holes in the police report or arrest, and create a strategy that is built to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal outcomes for our Cedar Hill, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as seen by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Cedar Hill DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Cedar Hill, MO, you are probably well aware that time is of the essence when dealing with your case. The sooner you can get a skilled Cedar Hill DWI lawyer to read documents, collect evidence, and build your defense, the better the odds are that the consequences resulting from your Cedar Hill DWI arrest will be greatly limited, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped hundreds of Cedar Hill-area residents from all walks of life battle DWI accusations. Our firm combines best-in-class legal knowledge and aggressive litigation with a promise to provide personal service and communication that is unequaled among Cedar Hill DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers vow that regardless of what time it is, regardless of the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk about your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our promise of total client satisfaction, which our previous clients can speak to as well.
After you have been pulled over and charged with DWI in the Cedar Hill, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial consultation and put the skilled Cedar Hill DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.