DWI Lawyer in Bonne Terre, MO
DWI Lawyer in Bonne Terre, MO. Being pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is definitely one of the biggest fears a Bonne Terre-area motorist can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a significant fine, your insurance premiums will drastically increase, and have points on your license for years to come. Even worse, your status among friends and neighbors will take a massive impact, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as countries including Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Bonne Terre?
Having an aggressive and effective Bonne Terre, MO DWI lawyer on your team can —and often does — make the difference between being found guilty to DWI and suffering all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our experienced St. Louis DWI lawyers fight relentlessly on behalf of all our Bonne Terre, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any moving violation or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your Bonne Terre DWI case the personal attention you deserve and craft a legal strategy that is designed to get you the best results.
Our track record of success for those facing DWI charges is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s logical to be nervous. Being pulled over by police for any moving violation is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” reaction, and this is only increased when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having tried hundreds of Bonne Terre-area DWI cases, our firm recommends that you do the following if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a safe place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, stop there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try not to park on grass.
- Record the entire stop with your phone. Having your own record of your Bonne Terre DWI stop can greatly help your case and identify potential differences between the police account and what really occured. Police officers are required to follow a set protocol in every DWI stop, and any wrong or skipped action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, too: judges have ruled that police can search and detain unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a law enforcement officer will increase the likelihood that they will search your car or subject you to a higher level of scrutiny. A little politeness goes a long way when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but nothing more. Cops are on the lookout for for any reason to continue an investigation and take you into custody, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driver’s license for one year if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only is in effect after you have been arrested for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to place you under arrest.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as you can. Your chat with an attorney is 100% privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breathalyzer test at the station, any issues that came up during your stop, or further questions you might have can make the difference between spending time in jail and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Bonne Terre, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are serious. Even a first Bonne Terre DWI offense could lead to the following punishments under Missouri law, as it is defined as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be converted to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Bonne Terre, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include no less than 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which ranges from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which prevents someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, verifiable BAC monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative component in a Bonne Terre, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue handles your license revocation or suspension. Most Bonne Terre-area drivers do not know that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you work with the Bonne Terre, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be sure that our firm will tackle both components of your DWI case urgently and work relentlessly to limit the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will gather evidence, go over the facts of your case, identify potential problems in the police report or arrest, and draw up a strategy that is made to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal outcomes for our Bonne Terre, MO DWI clients is unmatched, as shown by these results:
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Serious felony DUI charges reduced to a lower level.
Contact A Bonne Terre DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Bonne Terre, MO, you are certainly cognizant that time is money when dealing with your case. The quicker you can get a skilled Bonne Terre DWI lawyer to look over documents, obtain evidence, and craft your defense, the higher the chances are that the consequences resulting from your Bonne Terre DWI arrest will be greatly limited, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped a large number of Bonne Terre-area residents from all backgrounds battle DWI charges. Our firm combines best-in-class legal expertise and aggressive litigation with a pledge to provide personal service and communication that is unmatched among Bonne Terre DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers guarantee that no matter the time, regardless of the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and discuss your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our commitment to complete client satisfaction, which our former clients can attest to as well.
After you have been pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Bonne Terre, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial case review and put the skilled Bonne Terre DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group in your corner.