DWI Lawyer in Black Jack, MO
DWI Lawyer in Black Jack, MO. Being pulled over and suspected of driving while intoxicated is almost certainly one of the worst worries a Black Jack-area motorist can have. Not only will you be prohibited from driving for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a significant fine, your insurance rates will go up, and have points on your license for years to come. Even worse, your status in the community will take a massive hit, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as countries such as Canada prevent travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Black Jack?
Having an effective and aggressive Black Jack, MO DWI lawyer on your team can be — and often is — the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and facing all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight tirelessly for all our Black Jack, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any violation or if you have previous DWIs on your record, our firm will give your Black Jack DWI case the personal attention you expect and create a legal strategy that is built to get you the best results.
Our track record of success for those facing DWI charges is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you regardless of any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s natural to be nervous. Being stopped by police for any moving violation is something that can lead to a “fight or flight” response, and this is only heightened when you are accused of impaired driving. Having taken many Black Jack-area DWI cases, our firm suggests that you take the following course of action if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a secure place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire interaction with your phone. Having your own record of your Black Jack DWI stop can greatly improve your case and find potential differences between the police account and what really occured. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, as well: judges have ruled that police can seize and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a cop will lower the odds that they will search your car or subject you to heightened scrutiny. Kindness goes a long way when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your insurance card and license, but nothing more. Cops are looking for any reason to find probable cause and take you into custody, so do not give them any.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driver’s license for one year if you elect not to take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only is in effect after you have been placed under arrest for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are not consistent and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as you can. Your discussion with an attorney is 100% privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a BAC test at the precinct, any issues that came up in your stop, or further questions you might have can be the difference between paying substantial fines and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Black Jack, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you are well aware, are stiff. Even a first Black Jack DWI offense could lead to these punishments under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Black Jack, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be anywhere from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, verifiable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative portion of a Black Jack, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue handles your license revocation or suspension. Most Black Jack-area drivers do not know that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you work with the Black Jack, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can rest assured that our firm will tackle both sides of your DWI case as soon as possible and fight tirelessly to minimize the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, look at the facts of your case, identify potential problems in the police report or arrest, and craft a strategy that is built to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting the best results for our Black Jack, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as seen by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Black Jack DWI Lawyer Who Gets Results | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Black Jack, MO, you are certainly well aware that time is money when dealing with your case. The sooner you can get a skilled Black Jack DWI lawyer to look over documents, gather evidence, and establish your defense, the better the odds are that the effects resulting from your Black Jack DWI arrest will be greatly reduced, if not erased.
Combs Law Group has helped hundreds of Black Jack-area residents of all kinds fight DWI accusations. Our firm merges top-notch legal knowledge and combative litigation with a promise to provide personal attention and communication that is unequaled among Black Jack DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that regardless of what time it is, regardless of the situation, and no matter where you are, they will be able to answer your call and talk with you about your case or any other legal matter. This is part of our commitment to total client satisfaction, which our former clients can speak to as well.
After you have been pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Black Jack, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial case review and get the veteran Black Jack DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group to work for you.