DWI Lawyer Berkeley, MO
DWI Lawyer in Berkeley, MO. Getting pulled over and accused of driving while intoxicated is potentially one of the worst fears a Berkeley, MO-area driver can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for a minimum of 60 days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, face raising insurance costs, and have points on your license for years to come. Even worse, your reputation in the Berkeley, MO community or your workplace could take a significant hit, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be limited, as countries like Canada prohibit individuals with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
If you find yourself in the challenging situation of facing DWI charges after being pulled over in the Berkeley, MO area, it’s crucial to enlist the support of a highly skilled DWI lawyer in Berkeley. Waste no time; call Combs Law Group as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP or through our online contact form to initiate the process of crafting a robust defense for your case. Take advantage of our attorneys’ expertise through a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss the details of your situation and your next steps.
Have You Been Pulled Over Anywhere in the Berkeley, MO Area?
Having an aggressive and proficient DWI lawyer on your Berkeley, MO case can — and often does — make the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and suffering all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned Berkeley, MO DWI attorneys are devoted advocates for all our clients throughout the Berkeley, MO area facing DWI charges. No matter if this is the first time you have ever been pulled over for anything or if this is not the first time you are facing DWI charges, our firm is committed to providing your Berkeley, MO DWI case with the attention it deserves. We formulate a legal strategy tailored specifically to securing the best possible results for you.
Our record of success for those accused of DWI in Berkeley is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. When facing DWI charges near Berkeley, MO, prioritize making (314) 900-HELP your initial contact. We provide free case reviews and, at Combs Law Group, we are devoted to working with you, accommodating any financial challenges you may be facing, to mount a robust defense against your DWI charges in Berkeley, MO.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After being pulled over by a police officer suspecting impairment due to alcohol or drugs in the Berkeley, MO area, it’s natural to be nervous. Any encounter with law enforcement for a moving violation can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is only increased when you are facing accusations of impaired driving. Having tried hundreds of Berkeley, MO-area DWI cases, our firm suggests the following course of action if you find yourself pulled over for DWI:
- Pull over safely. Ensure a safe pull-over by using your turn signal, choosing a well-lit location on the side of the road, and opting for a shoulder or nearby parking lot if available. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Remain calm and cooperative. Remain calm and composed. Being hostile to a police officer will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. Being polite goes a long way when stopped for DWI near Berkeley, MO.
- Avoid self-incrimination. Exercise your right to remain silent under the Fifth Amendment. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but refrain from offering additional information. Law enforcement is seeking any excuse to continue an investigation and arrest you, so do not give them any. You can always choose not to answer potentially incriminating questions, like “Have you been drinking?” by stating that you prefer not to respond without legal advice.
- Avoid the portable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for one year if you refuse a breathalyzer or a blood test, this only applies after you have been placed under arrest for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are frequently deemed unreliable and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- Call a lawyer if you are arrested. Your conversation with an attorney is entirely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced Berkeley, MO DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breath test at the station, addressing any issues during your stop, or other questions you might have can make the difference between losing the ability to drive for months and your case potentially being dismissed.
Being charged with driving under the influence carries severe legal repercussions in Berkeley, MO, encompassing fines, the suspension of your driver’s license, and the possibility of incarceration. Gaining a comprehensive understanding of the potential consequences is crucial, and a Combs Law Group lawyer is ready to provide detailed insights and more during a free consultation. DWI laws can differ across jurisdictions, even in smaller areas neighboring Berkeley, MO, emphasizing the importance of seeking guidance from an attorney well-versed in the local legal landscape for personalized advice tailored to your unique circumstancesDriving under the influence has severe legal repercussions in Berkeley, MO, including fines, license suspension, and potential jail time. Having a firm grasp of the potential outcomes is vital, and a Combs Law Group lawyer will do that and more during a free consultation. Laws regarding DWI vary by jurisdiction, even small areas surrounding Berkeley, MO, so it’s advisable to consult with an attorney familiar with the laws in your area for specific advice tailored to your circumstances.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Berkeley, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri involve two distinct components: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you likely know, are serious. Even a first DWI offense could lead to the following repercussions under Missouri law, as it is categorized as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be converted to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called Substance Awareness Traffic Offender Program (SATOP)
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as a Certificate of Financial Responsibility or an SR-22
Our skilled Berkeley, MO legal team ensures that the citizens of Berkeley, MO receive the best possible legal presentation, no matter the circumstance. After all, good people often find themselves in dire situations. Along with DWI defense in Berkeley, MO, our attorneys are experienced in numerous forms of law, like:
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If you find yourself facing a second DWI arrest in Berkeley, MO, be prepared for the prospect of dealing with class A misdemeanor charges, which include these penalties:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in jail before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be anywhere from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, a breath alcohol ignition interlock device (BAIID). This keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit.
- Continuous, verifiable BAC monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan (SR-22)
The administrative component in a Berkeley, MO DWI case has to do with your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue manages your license revocation or suspension. Many Berkeley, MO-area drivers do not know that they have the option to appeal the automatic suspension or revocation, provided the appeal is submitted within 15 days of your initial arrest in Berkeley, MO.
When you hire the Berkeley, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, rest assured that our firm will tackle both components of your DWI case as soon as possible and strive to mitigate the impact of a DWI arrest on your life. We will gather evidence, scrutinize the details of your case, pinpoint potential holes in the Berkeley police report or arrest, and craft a strategy that is built for success. Call us today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting the best possible outcomes for our Berkeley, MO DWI clients is unequaled in the Berkeley area, as evidenced by these results:
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Serious felony DUI charges reduced to a lower level.
Contact A DWI Lawyer Who Wins in Berkeley, MO | Combs Law Group
If you have recently faced arrest and DWI charges in Berkeley, MO, you are probably well aware that time is of the essence when dealing with your case. The sooner you can get a skilled Berkeley, MO DWI lawyer to review documents, gather evidence, and construct a robust case, the higher the likelihood that the repercussions of your Berkeley DWI arrest will be greatly reduced, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped hundreds of Berkeley, MO-area residents from all walks of life take on DWI charges. Our firm blends top-notch legal expertise and assertive litigation with a dedication to personalized service and communication that stands out among DWI law firms near Berkeley, MO and throughout Missouri. Our DWI lawyers assure you that, regardless of the time, location, or circumstance, they will promptly answer your call to discuss your case or any other legal concerns. This commitment is an integral part of our pledge to gain complete client satisfaction, as affirmed by our satisfied clients.
After you have been pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Berkeley, MO area, prioritize calling (314) 900-HELP to schedule a free initial case review and put the experienced Berkeley, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group to work for you.