DWI Lawyer in Barnhart, MO
DWI Lawyer in Barnhart, MO. Getting pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is almost certainly one of the worst fears a Barnhart-area motorist can have. Not only will you be suspended of your driving privileges for a minimum of sixty days, you will have to pay a substantial fine, face increased insurance costs, and have points on your license for the near future. Even worse, your reputation among friends and neighbors will take a significant blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be curtailed, as nations such as Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Barnhart?
Having an effective and aggressive Barnhart, MO DWI lawyer on your team can be — and often is — the difference between being found guilty to DWI and facing all its punishments, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight relentlessly on behalf of all our Barnhart, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been pulled over for anything or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your Barnhart DWI case the personal attention you deserve and craft a legal strategy that is designed to get you the best results.
Our track record of success for those facing DWI charges is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s logical to be nervous. Being pulled over by the cops for any moving violation is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” reaction, and this is only heightened when you are accused of impaired driving. Having tried many Barnhart-area DWI cases, our firm recommends that you take the following course of action if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a safe place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire encounter with your phone. Having your own account of your Barnhart DWI stop can greatly improve your case and highlight potential discrepancies between the police report and what actually occured. Police officers are required to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any wrong or skipped step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, too: judges have ruled that police can detain and search unsecured cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a cop will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. Kindness goes a long way when stopped for DWI.
- Keep in mind: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but do not give them anything else. Officers are on the lookout for for any reason to continue an investigation and arrest you, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically suspends your driver’s license for 12 months if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only is in effect after you have been taken into custody for DWI. Hand-held breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to place you under arrest.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer immediately. Your chat with an attorney is completely privileged and confidential under Missouri law. Getting advice from a veteran St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a BAC test at the station, any issues that arose during your stop, or additional questions you might have can make the difference between losing the ability to drive for months and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Barnhart, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal punishments for DWI in Missouri, as you likely know, are serious. Even a first Barnhart DWI offense could lead to the following consequences under Missouri law, as it is defined as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be reduced to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Barnhart, MO, you will likely be looking at class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include at least 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, as well as pay for, an ignition interlock device (which keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, verifiable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative component in a Barnhart, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue handles your license revocation or suspension. Most Barnhart-area drivers are unaware that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, as long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you work with the Barnhart, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can rest assured that our firm will handle both halves of your DWI case as soon as possible and fight hard to limit the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, go over the details of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the police report or arrest, and draw up a strategy that is built to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal results for our Barnhart, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as evidenced by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Barnhart DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Barnhart, MO, you are certainly cognizant that time is money when dealing with your case. The sooner you can get a trusted Barnhart DWI lawyer to look over documents, obtain evidence, and craft your defense, the higher the chances are that the effects resulting from your Barnhart DWI arrest will be greatly reduced, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped a large number of Barnhart-area residents from all backgrounds take on DWI charges. Our firm combines top-notch legal expertise and aggressive litigation with a promise to provide personal service and communication that is unmatched among Barnhart DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers guarantee that regardless of what time it is, no matter the situation, and no matter the circumstances, they will be able to answer your call and talk with you about your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our promise of total client satisfaction, which our former clients can attest to as well.
If you get pulled over and arrested for DWI in the Barnhart, MO area, call (314) 900-HELP first to schedule a free initial consultation and get the experienced Barnhart DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group to work for you.